PDA

View Full Version : Battery Recommendation

EdHale
11-10-2010, 06:33
I have the truck in my tag line and have owned it since new. Since it is now going into it's 5th winter with the original OEM batteries, I'm thinking replacement may be in my not too distant future. It starts fine and absolutely normal at 32 degrees, but the batteries are old.

What is the current recommendation from the group on replacements?

I used red top Optima batteries on my '98 6.5 and they performed perfectly for six years until I sold the truck to my son in law. They are still working fine for him 4 years later.

Thanks guys.

Mark Rinker
11-12-2010, 08:12
Depends on how long you intend to own the truck. If your plan is for 5+ more years, spring for the Optimas.

If not 4yrs at least, or if you are unsure, I'd replace with GM Delcos.

(NOTE: Some of the GM Delco replacements are sealed like the factory OEMs, and some require inspection cap removal and take distilled water, like conventionals. I have had great service from dealership Delcos.)

EdHale
11-13-2010, 04:29
Thanks Mark. I was beginning to think that these original OEM batteries must be lasting all of you guys forever since no one had responded yet. And forever is OK with me.
I do plan on keeping this truck forever so when the time comes I will put the Optimas in it. They worked great in my Suburban 6.5 and as I said in my original post, my son in law is still driving it with the Optimas still there. I was just wondering if that was the still the best option based on experience here since I haven't bought any new batteries in a while and none for the Duramax.
I am now towing a "heavy" 5th wheel now, but not every day. Just when the urge strikes which I feel coming on now. Where to go??????

Heartbeat Hauler
11-18-2010, 19:34
Sorry Ed for the slow responses. I had to replace my batteries at 6 years +. I did the research and decided that the Optimas were just too expensive for my wallet. On top of that, I read many threads on the Red Top's performance and they were mixed at best. I finally settled on AC Delco batteries (stock) at $68 dollars and change each. I can buy about 3 sets of these for the cost of the Red Tops and the Delcos are lasting 6 years...the math was easy for me. While I won't diss the Optimas, I decided that my truck does not have to have the most expensive stuff out there....ummm except for tires, EFI, exhaust, etc. :D

leolkfrm
12-10-2010, 05:17
mine lasted 7yrs, replaced them with 2 NAPA 900cc batteries

EdHale
12-10-2010, 07:22
I thought my truck was starting a little slower than normal a few weeks ago, but after the past few days of mid to low teens in the mornings (without being plugged in), it is starting fine. Maybe I was just dreaming. Anyway, I'm going to stick with the original OEM's a bit longer and then make a decision. But these OEM batteries are looking better all the time. The OEM batteries in my 1998 6.5 lasted less than a year.