PDA

View Full Version : Weird Not Start Problem On Cold Day

Plowboy81
11-10-2010, 22:40
Well went out today to start my truck and couldnt get it to crank over. Turn the key pushed the clutch, glow plug light comes on stays on for 15 seconds and goes off. Turn the key to fire it and the starter dont even crank. Put a jumper pac on it and tried again and nothing. Its acting like when you dont push clutch in and try to start it. Just put new motor in back in febuary. Replace glow plugs and alternator and batterys where put in last year. Everything in the truck is new. Tought maybe batterys went bad so stoped by today and had them checked. One reads 12.66v 707cca and the other 12.78v 692cca. They are rated at 770cca. Only does it when it is cold like down about 40degress, if you plug it up and the motor is warm it want do it. Starts fine when temp is above 50 outside. Dont act like glow plugs and dont think it is the clutch safty switch cause it starts warm. Have not tested the glow plug realy yet cause it starts when motor pluged up and when its warm out side.

Robyn
11-11-2010, 08:36
Starter solenoid issue most probably.

I would check that out. If it does not even go CLICK then the issue has to be in that system.

You can try powering the starter solenoid directly to see if that helps.

Sometimes the ignition switch will go sour and not put enough power to the solenoid.

Be sure that the Clutch switch is not getting flakey in the cold. Try jumpering around the switch to make sure.

Robyn

JohnC
11-11-2010, 11:23
'95's are known for bad ignition switches. The switch often acts up in cold weather. Usually the first sign is problems with the automatic trans, but I guess you missed that part...

Put a meter on the solenoid wire and see if it is getting power. If not, work backwards until you find the problem (or go right to the switch for the next test...)

Plowboy81
11-12-2010, 04:43
Well give those test a try this weekend.

spiff
11-16-2010, 18:45
You might also want to check the clutch switch. Same symptoms, no starter selenoid click, no nothing. Little plastic part broke on mine a couple of days ago. Just defeated it for now. I hate to work under the dash. But will get a new one as time permits.

Plowboy81
11-18-2010, 05:54
Well finily got to test my truck weather got down to 28 last night. Ran jumper leads off glow plug relay, two glow plugs and the ignition wire on the starter. Hooked my tester to a good ground and it showed I had 12 volts on all my jumper wires, So I got voltage on my glow plugs , the relay, and the starter ignition wire. Still will not start doesnt even click the starter. So thinking the the starter Solenoid?

87max
11-18-2010, 09:35
Missy goodwrench has it pegged. Jump the solenoid to confirm. Double check all your grounds also, give them a good cleaning up, new motor swaps notorious for bad connections when bolting back up.