PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter issue

JTodd
11-14-2010, 06:14
I replaced my fuel filter a couple months ago with one from Napa. It was not the standard metal cap type, but had a plastic cap with integrated threaded collar. Now, it will regularly puke fuel. By that I mean it will pour maybe a cup to two out that runs down the back of the engine. The odd thing is that I cannot figure out under what scenario or conditions it does it. It does it cold or warm. Short trip or long. Sometimes it does it and sometimes not. I have never actually seen it do it, so I don't know exactly where it is coming from, but there is fuel sprayed onto the underside of the hood as well as the fire wall. I have checked and tightened both the cap and the vent, but fuel will still leak.

I bought another filter yesterday, one with a metal cap, but cannot locate the plastic collar from the old one. Does anyone have one of these they can sell? Or are there any other ideas?

AllThumbs
11-14-2010, 13:49
Oh Oh, I just put one of those on. :eek: I'm going to dig the plastic ring out of the garbage and keep it just in case I get the same result. Thanks for alerting us.

jerry598
11-14-2010, 13:57
I ruined more than one filter by over-tightening it which wrecked the o ring seal. I finally learned to just snug it down easily. Might not be your problem but that's where I would start. For sure I'd get an OEM screw down collar and keep it handy or stick with it altogether.

suburbanK-2500HD
11-14-2010, 14:12
As i have seen, the plastic cap with integrated threaded collar is replacing the other one. So it says at Rock Auto..

JTodd
11-17-2010, 18:21
A quick update on this. The retaining ring is officially called the fuel filter nut. I checked in my local PepBoys for this part - which they did not have. While there a guy standing next to me said he had the same problem with his duramax. Fuel would spray out the side. He decided it was the Napa-brand filter. I told him I had just put a Napa filter in as well.

Moral of the store is that Napa fuel filters suck

AllThumbs
11-18-2010, 08:00
And here I am stuck with one! :mad:

Robyn
11-18-2010, 08:49
Hmmmmm

Interesting anomaly, as I have used the NAPA filters for years and never once had an issue.

I stopped using them on DaHoooley when I switched over to the Racor.

This was only due to the factory filter leaking in the heater base area.
Just tossed the whole thing and replaced it.

Never had any leak issues with the Napa filters though.

Maybe your housing has an issue ???

Missy

JohnC
11-18-2010, 10:03
Yup, me too. New NAPA plastic filter on the D-max and no problems...

Lanskpr
11-20-2010, 19:31
I dont like the new style NAPA filters. The bleeder thingy on top is not connected to any thing. That is, you can hook a tube to it when bleeding after installation but fuel doesnt actually travel thru the bleeder. it just runs out below the plastic. Kind of strange. Same offset nipple. Almost like it was meant for show.

I ended up getting the last filter at a GM dealer($50) and a new ring since I threw mine out when I got the new NAPA design. The ring was instock and cost the predictable $18.00

EdHale
11-21-2010, 04:26
When I had my 6.5 the fuel would run out below the bleeder screw also if you opened it too much. It didn't take much for it to open and run out of the hose, but too much and it would leak.

JohnC
11-22-2010, 12:08
All the Stanadyne filters I used during my 13 years of 6.5 ownership were like that: open the bleeder more than 1/2 turn or so and it would bleed out on top of the filter.

AllThumbs
11-22-2010, 23:58
Thanks for the info. I obviously have mine open WAY too much.:eek: