PDA

View Full Version : stranded-help!

jf-schaack
11-14-2010, 11:43
Hi guys. I'm 100 miles from home and the old girl won't start. Drove fine this morning. The glow plugs won't cycle at all. All fuses were good. Not sure what to check. Sorry if there is a thread that covers my problem but I couldn't search very well on my phone. Thanks all!

rameye
11-14-2010, 12:48
There are a multitude of reasons why the glows wont cycle...that being the case if you just need to get home...(this is side of the road mechanics)

I would use a jumper cable and go from the positive of the battery to the terminal on the terminal left as you face the glow plug solenoid. Hold it there for 15-20 seconds...remove and fire it up.

This procedure assumes you have to get going...

Please be careful as the jumper will be live and you can ground it out while reaching across causing a spark. Avoid making the final connection at the battery because a spark at or in the area of a battery (assumng its unsealed) can have explosive consequences.

Good luck....be careful

jf-schaack
11-14-2010, 15:25
Where is the glow plug solenoid on a 97? I'm unfamiliar. Still stuck and ready to head home. Picture would be helpful if anyone has one.

rameye
11-14-2010, 15:51
Follow the drivers side glow plug wires up to the controller.

Mounted on intake manifold drivers side rear corner...just to right of the fuel filter....remove the rubber covers over the lugs...apply power to left most lug.