PDA

View Full Version : Standby current draw in diesel pickups?

Tony_Alberta
11-16-2010, 20:12
Not sure what to use as a subject but I'm trying to get an idea of how much current does the computers and other devices such as clock, use when the engine is not running. This would be a standardish, 2000 and newer, Ford/GM/Dodge diesel pickup.

I ask because I typically only drive my truck every few weeks or even a month. So I'm seriously considering mounting a permanent solar panel on the roof. And I'd like to size it so in winter it'll at least keep up with the current draw on a sunny day. Or maybe a bit more than that even.

Yes, I could keep it plugged in with a trickle charger but the last time I read those instructions at the local parts store they stated they weren't designed to be permanently attached to the battery. Presumably because if they weren't plugged in to 120 VAC they would draw some current.

More Power
11-17-2010, 14:09
Welcome to the board!

Based on my experience, a couple of months of sitting isn't a problem. Much longer than that though, and you'll need to consider a charger, both the keep the batts charged enough for an easy start and to prevent battery deterioration.

For the past couple of years I've been using a "Battery Tender Junior" for a couple of motorcycles, our riding mower and my Duramax powered project truck. I just rotate the charger through the mini-fleet once a month or so during the winter months. It can take the charger 2-3 days to top off the two batteries in my truck if it's sat for a couple of months or so. These chargers can be left connected to the batteries for months at a time - if you wish.
http://batterytender.com/motorcycle.html

These chargers are available at most motorcycle dealers or through any of the online mc parts/accessories stores.

Jim