PDA

View Full Version : Engine #4

Aerodyne
11-20-2010, 19:13
This is the 4th engine that I have torn down. The first was a 6.2 that had cracks in the mains. The next two were 6.5s. One had a broken crank and lots of main cracks. The other 6.5 had the crank broken between the front main and #1 rod. I put in a new crank for the owner. This block also had a small crack at a main bolt.

The 4th engine is a red 82 model. It has 3 small cracks at the outer main bolts. That leaves me with one more 82 engine still in a truck and a 84 K20 that runs. I need a good engine to go in my 46 Ford 1 ton. The easy route would be SBC 350. I make a living as a diesel mechanic so I want a diesel in my toy.

Can the block be repaired with Lock and Stitch?

I need to go ahead and pull the last red engine ,get rid of the truck and make t.he wife happy.

I still have the 97 squirt block but no crank.

Thanks Lynn

Robyn
11-21-2010, 07:36
Yessssss

A block with SMALL cracks in the outer main bolt holes can be repaired nicely with the Lock and Stitch "Full Torque" inserts.

These are a reverse thread insert that has the threads on the outside of the insert angled up so it actually pulls the area back together.

These inserts are solid and not a "Coil"

As long as the cracks dont penetrate below the bottom of the bolt hole and down the web the inserts area great fix.

Cracks that are in the register fit area of the outer main web are not repairable.

I recommend setting up and inserting all 6 of the outer bolt holes on the center 3 mains.

The tools are available as a KIT from Lock and stitch.

Call them and tell them that you need the Main bolt insert Kit for the 6.2/6.5

Now they do offer the kits for both the 12mm and the 10mm outer bolts.

The 6.2 Blocks will have the 12mm

This fix is a great way to save an otherwise scrap block.

I do a few of these off and on.

If you look in the 6.2/6.5 tech section here at TDP you will find a thread that I did on this very subject. There are piccy's and good writeup.

Here is the link, go to the second page and scroll down through and you will find the piccys and such http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=32983&highlight=Lock+Stitch

Any block that has outer main web cracks that do NOT extend below the bolt hole depth should be considered for this fix.

I tossed out a lot of blocks early on that could have been saved. :(

Any questions just ask. :)

Missy

Aerodyne
11-21-2010, 18:13
My son with his young eyes says that one crack extends down below the bolthole. $135 and a hot half a days work gone.

Thanks Robyn

Lynn

Robyn
11-22-2010, 07:00
Take a good high res pix of that crack and post it would you please ??:)

Its possible that its still salvageable with a Lock and stitch insert.

We dont like seeing cracks that deep buttttttttttttttt, its not an absolute Iron clad rule.

Cracks that are only 1/2" deep from the part line are absolutely not an issue but, below the holes can be a bit dicey.

Generally once a crack gets that far down into the web area there is not too much hope

The inserts are about 1-1/4" long maybe a tad more and require that the hole be drilled a bit deeper than they are originally so, MAYBE we can save this critter.

Dont give it to the scrappy just yet.

Robyn