PDA

View Full Version : Document Components of New (to me) 1990 'Burb

mccurdyr
11-24-2010, 08:21
Hello Everybody
I am the new and excited owner of a 1990 naturally aspirated
4wd Suburban 1500. What I actually "know" about this vehicle is left to be
determined and that's what I'm looking for help to find out.

Starting with the basics, I believe I'm the 4th or 5th owner. Documentation shows it in a corporate fleet while acquiring high mileage (500,000 on the odo) and at least two GM crate engine replacements. In the past 2 years it's had 2 owners. It's reported to have a 6.2in it. So my first request for help is in determining what engine, fuel pump, etc it is running. The current engine is reported to have 60k miles and a brief visual inspection shows clean GM stickers on the valve covers. Once I determine that then I'll look at basic mods for longevity and efficiency.

Part of my motiv for buying this one (other than that their aren't many around) is suspension and front end have been professionally and completely r&red for my intended use - offroad and hiway. This includes a set of 35 inch tires (315/75/16). The original dealer specs show 3.73 gears and lockers but the seller reported (w/no documentation) 4.10 gears. I'll be trading down these [overly aggressive tread pattern] brand new tires for something dual use appropriate. my question - should I confirm visually the gear ratios and perhaps adjust the tire size appropriately?
Sidebar: vehicle will be in Baja Sur doing 10% around town, 40% hiway (I'd love 72mph @ 20mpg), 40% graded washboard roads, 10% slow mountainous desert driving. Towing occasionally 2,000 lbs max

Next is identifying and evaluating the transmission. I think it's 700r, but would like to get all data possible to confirm year and any specific details on it. It's my one real worry. It's been repaired/serviced by a yocal mechanic with minimum documentation and I'm a little skeptical about what he has done and would like to establish a baseline for what I have, including is the torque converter appropriate. note - unlike a 1985 6.2/700r combo I once owned, this does not have an electric o.d. switch on the shift lever.

Any other important parts or systems I should catalog: transfer case model, ecm, injectors and pump model, etc.? I bring the vehicle home this Friday. I've got butterflies in my stomach and want to focus first on documenting, evaluating and establishing a plan. I definitely have to spruce up the interior, door hinges, etc. and otherwise I need to spend my money very wisely.
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving

mccurdyr
11-24-2010, 11:57
... I'll make a signature as I figure out what I have.

Also, I have the factory code list provided by James Fourness for a starting place.
Thanks and stand by.