PDA

View Full Version : Felpro lower intake manifold gasket dillema, did they change em?

john8662
08-31-2004, 10:30
Upon digging into my project on my suburban (injectors, new gp's and exhaust) all at once, I decided to take off the intake manifold to look for a leak. Whenever I run the sub hard pulling a trailer or just down the road on a hot day I smell diesel fuel once I get out. Never find any wet spots or big places where dust is accumulating. So i figured it was under the intake, maybe a loose injection line or rubber supply line.

Anyways, I am ready to put it all back together now (didn't find my leak, must be on the pump somewhere). I made sure all 8 IP lines were tight and the rubber lines on the fuel filter housing were right, the fuel filter housing isn't leaking, and its seals have been replaced not too long ago. For putting the intake back on I had picked up a set of felpro lower intake manifold gaskets. I usually like the felpro gaskets because the next time you pull the intake its alot less mess, no really hard stuck gasket to peel. Well I took the new gaskets out of the box and looked at em, they seem to be missing the metal block off port for the egr. My K2500 burb has the Vin F 6.5, and no egr, so I expect the block off plate to be in the gasket. I see on the gasket an imprent "LD" on it, so I figure, dangit, dern parts guys!

I take the gaskets back, they tell me they are the correct ones. I get a refund, go to the next parts store, same problem, part number "MS91585". So, I want to know if anyone else has had this problem with the felpro gaskets changing. They had the block off port in the last set I bought for my 6.2.

Anyone know of a better source for the "older" type felpro gaskets other than advanced auto, autozone, and oreilly's?

Is this going to be a problem with the missing block off port, on the other hand Victor Reinz gaskets have the block off plate (I can get them from DIS). I just don't like the VR gaskets, hard removal later, and more scraping.

Thanks!

john8662
08-31-2004, 10:45
I posted too soon, I found my answer.

the "MS91586" is the 6.2L J series gasket and its the one I am looking for!

the "MS91585" is the 6.5L gasket for all 6.5TD's because there were LD and HD 6.5 (I guess to be emissions friendly) Felpro made the application for all.

In conclusion, I am putting on the 6.2L J series gaskets on my 6.5TD, because the factory gaskets had the block off ports and by God the new ones will too!

Phil Holmen
08-31-2004, 10:46
Tell them you want the intake gaskets for an older 6.2 heavy duty. That's what I did to disable my egr system.

More Power
08-31-2004, 10:47
Not a problem... Your intake manifold will block the EGR ports.....

The metal block-off plates in the gaskets are only necessary when using an EGR manifold (and you don't want EGR).

MP