PDA

View Full Version : Battery Life / Con'td

longhorncallan1
08-31-2004, 15:40
Before I plop the $$ down for the Optimas, I gave the Battery shop a chance to save their reputation in my mind anyway. Their amp meter pegs out at 500 amps. I was told that when trying to start it this morning after I dropped it off that it pegged their meter. They suspect the starter. So far that sounds logical. What iritates me is, I replaced the starter 3 years ago with a GM Delco (Bendix was bad, shoulda replace the bendix and reinstalled it had I known what was going to happen later. Can't remember if it was a new or a rebuilt one (am looking for the receipt tonight). It never did sound as fast as the first one and I had more hard starts in unheated below O weather than with the previuos one.
To be continued. $230 for batteries, $270 for a starter, machts nichts....Makes no difference where ir goes.

CareyWeber
09-01-2004, 02:08
Ed,

I had lots of alternator problems till I replaced my battery cables. I think that any 6.5 out there is old enough to need new battery cables.

Acid gets down inside the cables.

I used one gauge welding cable when I replaced mine. Make sure you replace the cable from the alternator to the battery too.

Use the Dr Lee battery bolts too!

Just my two cents though. ;)

Carey