PDA

View Full Version : 2001 LB7 Headgasket Questions

skevac
12-02-2010, 10:33
My dad has a 2001 Ext. cab 4x4 3500 dually with approx. 68000 miles. The truck is stock with the exception of a K&N filter in the stock air box and a Hypertech tuner on the tow setting. It's hooked to a trailer more than it's not. It tows a 35 foot travel trailer and a 30 foot gooseneck with antique tractors. He uses the truck for what it was made for but doesn't beat the snot out of it. We're 95% sure the head gaskets are leaking / blown as it pukes water out the coolant tank and gets air in the system. My question is are the 01's noted for this problem especially with such low miles??? Did GM come out with a better head gasket than what is in it now??? Should we go with an aftermaket (better than GM) headgasket??? Should we put in studs instead of bolts??? Any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks

Kennedy
12-02-2010, 16:24
The head gasket was revised, but my opinion is that the TTY bolts have to go.

When we do them here we skim cut the head to take out porosity from fire ring and use grade C gaskets. We use studs and a an extra special lube on the threads.

madmatt
12-06-2010, 07:11
John if you don't mind me asking, what i s this lube you use on the threads?? I've always just used ARP's lube and never had an issue.

Kennedy
12-06-2010, 10:22
It's a better EP grease that I go from my Engine builder. He just smeared a blop in an old die tube for me. It's more of a grease type than the ARP soft stuff is and it REALLY works well.

skevac
12-08-2010, 05:53
What are the grade C gaskets you are talking about??? Aftermarket or OEM???

Kennedy
12-09-2010, 08:04
The gasket thickness from teh OE is identified by a series of holes in th gasket. A is thinner and C is thickest, but we are talking about VERY minute differences so I just go with C grade as it will never hurt you. I only use/trust the OE gaskets for the Dmax.