PDA

View Full Version : Upper oil pan leaks

mattb5150
12-04-2010, 15:13
Hey Guys,

Had my 2003 Dmax in at the local dealer due to leak starting in trans cooler lines and they said I had a pretty good leak in the upper oil pan as well. They wanted $1,700 to fix it because you have to pull the Allison in order to do this. I know my truck well and its has had a small oil leak from somewhere for the past few years but not enough to even cause drops on the driveway. So I told the dealer no way, the other day ran into a guy with 2001 Dmax who had the same thing, same cost.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows why the upper pans would start to leak over time? On the 6.5's I know the CDR valve could plug up and cause the crankcase pressure to build and blow out seals but I am not aware of a CDR on the Dmax.

Thanks,
Matt

More Power
12-08-2010, 17:06
Hey Guys,

Had my 2003 Dmax in at the local dealer due to leak starting in trans cooler lines and they said I had a pretty good leak in the upper oil pan as well. They wanted $1,700 to fix it because you have to pull the Allison in order to do this. I know my truck well and its has had a small oil leak from somewhere for the past few years but not enough to even cause drops on the driveway. So I told the dealer no way, the other day ran into a guy with 2001 Dmax who had the same thing, same cost.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows why the upper pans would start to leak over time? On the 6.5's I know the CDR valve could plug up and cause the crankcase pressure to build and blow out seals but I am not aware of a CDR on the Dmax.

Thanks,
Matt

You're right though, in that oil is cheap, even if you have to add a little between drain intervals. If the ooze isn't causing a bigger problem for you, I'd be inclined to leave it alone - but watch it.

Jim

carolina Custom
12-09-2010, 18:51
Thats not a real hard choice to make;)

mattb5150
12-09-2010, 21:01
Yeah even running Castrol 5W-40, like I say its a slow leak, but does anyone know why the leak occurs in the first place?