PDA

View Full Version : Bluesmoke

Jawwry the man
07-27-2003, 11:26
Greetings,
A friend of mine has a 92 P.U.-6.5 w/182k. He bought it with 82,000 on it. He has never taken the engine apart. The other day, not pulling a load or up a hill, the engine started shaking and blowing blue smoke. It idles very rough, even though he has always changed the oil regularly. He took it down to a local shop they said two dead cylinders, most likely cracked rings and tried to sell him new engine. I told him, "Try to confirm what's wrong, are the cylinders next to each other, etc are there any bubbles in coolent? etc."
If you have any other ideas please help.

Robert Shupe
07-27-2003, 13:16
You may have a couple of dead injectors, If they have not been replaced you might be ready for a new set

cruzer
07-28-2003, 08:01
Does it have blowby? Oil smoke out of the dipstick or oil fill? If it does then maybe rings or cracked pistons.

number two
07-29-2003, 06:19
Time for a compression test on all eight cylinders,giving you a chance to look at the condition of the glow plugs. My '93 recently drove me wacky with a similar problem-would have found it quicker if I'd adhered to proper testing procedures. Check all the holes. Had I looked at all the glow plugs,I'd have seen the wet one and went right to the offending cylinder. Oh,mine broke a rocker arm retainer allowing the rocker arm to slip off the pushrod,killing that cylinder.Sure did run rough and smoked some too.