PDA

View Full Version : Installing my dual thermostat with problems

HogHeaven08
12-08-2010, 14:34
First of all let me say I have been lurking and reading for some time now while installing my new 506 longblock. TDP has been a WEALTH of info:D thanks to all the members. Until now most everything I have searched for I've found.
Here's my question: Has anyone been able to relocate that plunger thing that mounts to the throttle bracket on the DB2 that idles up your engine when its cold I believe. When you remove the original throttle bracket from the pump to install the modified bracket that comes with the dual thermo kit the therm housing doesnt allow the "plunger thing" (did a search and couldn't determine what it is called) to fit back in. I'm sure I can fab a piece of tin or alum to bolt to the newer throttle bracket, but the big question is can I shorten that plunger rod so it will fit back in between the throttle linkage arm and the therm housing and not affect it's functionality ? Sorry for the long question, but I wanted to be sure all knew what the heck I was talking about. Hope I am in the right forum as I am unable to post to 6.5 diesel tech. Emailed Jim for a possible solution to that prob. Thanks to any and all who can answer.

arveetek
12-08-2010, 15:05
I don't have any experience with modifying the bracket you need, but the part you are referring to is the fast idle solenoid.

I do know that when installing the dual t-stat kit on a mechanical engine like you have, you have to get creative with the brackets. The dual t-stat system was never used on engines with throttle cables and fast idle solenoids.

Casey

bobt
12-08-2010, 22:32
Hi, It's been about 10 years since I did mine, but I believe I bent the rod slightly and everything then lined up and bolted up to the bracket.
Bob

Yukon6.2
12-09-2010, 08:53
Hi
I have done the mod on my truck.You also have to modify the throttle bracket.I have a mig welder so i ended up fabing the high idle bracket and welding.If i remember corectly do the throttle first,make sure you are getting full throttle befor doing final welds,my first attempt gave me about 3/4 throttle,to much loss of power with these little motors.My high idle ended up at a bit of an angle but it works and after 5 yrs hasn't hurt the solinoid.
Good Luck
Thomas

HogHeaven08
12-09-2010, 20:03
Thanks guys, I think I'll just shorten the rod so it fits in, it really doesn't have that much travel or just eliminate it altogether and turn my idle up a little for the winter with the screw. And just FYI (in case anyone else asks),you can order the modified bracket (which I did) that comes with instructions (but doesn't mention the fast idle solenoid) with the dual thermo kit, but you still have to cut the cruise and throttle mounts off the original bracket and then bolt or weld them to the new bracket....easily enough done. Much appreciated guys.

Larry.