PDA

View Full Version : Duramax rattle and smoke

portcity05
12-08-2010, 23:02
Hi
My truck is a 2001 2500hd with a duramax with 300,000km and new injectors fitted 4 years ago.
The truck has been running faultlessly until last week when on a trip I was passing a car and all hell broke loose.
:mad:
All of a sudden I heard a rattling sound coming from the engine and when I looked out the back I saw an enormous cloud of smoke.
I pulled over strait away and turned the engine off, the motor tried to run on which it never does, the cloud of smoke engulfed the truck.
About 1/2 hour later I moved the truck back about 30ft and the smoke rattle and run on was exacly the same, I have not tried it since.
:confused:
My first thought was that it broke a piston when accelerating but since then I have thought of the possability of an injector breaking and pouring raw diesel into one cylinder or more plausible a turbo letting go and pumping oil and debris into the intake.
:eek:
Has anyone had this happen to them???
It is time to fix it and I would prefer not to dissmantle any more than I have to.
regards Terry
Port City Engines
Australia

Kennedy
12-09-2010, 08:09
Broken piston came to mind first, but the "run on" sounds more like Turbo failure. You need a prety warm engine to run on oil though so the 1/2 hr later experience makes me ???

I'd start by removing the IC tube from the turbo and see if it's wet inside. If it is the turbo it will be drenched and will likely run out the lower boot.

portcity05
12-11-2010, 18:06
Hi
Well I just removed the intercooler pipes at both the turbo and intake and both were dead dry, turbo seems ok but where to go now.
:mad:
A terminal Duramax disaster is not what I was hoping for ???
regards Terry

portcity05
01-30-2011, 00:20
Hi
It has been a while since I have looked at my truck, about 7 weeks.
I removed the glow plugs today expecting to find at least one covered in oil, but all look normal.
I will do a compression test when I get a chance.
In the mean time I have been wondering what else could have caused all the smoke and running on.???
Is it possible for the fuel pressure regulator could suddenly go crazy, ???
Twice in the last 30,000km the engine has suddenly began to sound noisy like an old Ford powerstroke and both times I have taken it to a garage who uses a Snap-on test unit.
He plays around with the fuel pressure and then presto, the sound goes away and after diving the car for about 20km we are back to normal.
Maybee this time it has gone totaly wacko.
Has anyone had a similar problem with a fuel pressure reg.???
regards Terry

THEFERMANATOR
01-30-2011, 09:50
I would pull your glow plugs out and turn it over for 15 seconds then wait a minute and repeat. Do this about 3 times and look to see if diesel is shooting out any of the glow plug holes. Sounds to me almost like an injector sticking open and when the fuel pressure is ramped up it pops it back closed.

Kennedy
01-30-2011, 11:01
Are there any performance altering devices (chips) installed?

portcity05
01-30-2011, 19:54
Hi
No performance chips installed, completely stock except for right hand drive conversion.
regards Terry

portcity05
01-31-2011, 03:26
Wow, we are now getting some where.
I cranked the engine over with the glow plugs removed as you suggested.
The first time all looked dry without any fuel or vapour after cranking only for a few seconds.
The second time all looked dry except #1 cylinder with a constant fuel vapour and leaving the engine bay wet.
The third time the same.
Does this mean an injector has suddenly collapsed or blown out.???
I will remove the injector as soon as I have time.
Thanks for the advice.
As for the fuel reg, is there any way of testing it.???
regards Terry

DmaxMaverick
01-31-2011, 14:06
I wouldn't be too concerned with the regulator at this point. Address it later, if a pressure issue continues. With an injector leaking as much as the #1, fuel pressure stability will be difficult to maintain. Once the leaky injector is replaced, you may find your fuel pressure management returning to normal.

THEFERMANATOR
01-31-2011, 21:56
Pulling the glow plugs out and turning it over is a good test to see if one of the injectors is leaking past the tip. It takes a second or 2 of cranking for teh fuel pressure to come up, sothis is why you had to crank it a few times before the fuel was visible. Sounds like you found your problem though.