PDA

View Full Version : Effect of 'Regen' on engine life

Spoolmak
12-09-2010, 08:32
I've been looking to replace my 04 LB7 2500HD with a 3500HD and with new prices up here in Canada approaching ridiculous levels, thought about 2008 to 2010 model years. I believe those are the years where 'regen' was accomplished by engine fuel injectors injecting additional fuel during the exhaust stroke. This fuel would increase exhaust temperatures to accomplish the burn off of particulates, the so called 'regeneration'.

I've been digging to find out how successful that is. A lot of sites are posting about the unanticipated side effects of this exhaust stroke fuel injection. Apparently it causes degraded lubrication on piston and cylinder walls by diesel washing, and an increase of diesel in the engine oil. Common sense would indicate these effect engine life adversely. Cummins still uses this system to meet emission requirements in their 6.7 litre truck.

It is the reason Ford went with the 9th injector in the exhaust system three years ago - can you remember how hard we laughed at the U Tube Ford Flame Thrower video??

Now GM has followed suit for 2011 by placing a 9th injector in the exhaust system in an effort to avoid the cylinder washing and oil dilution.

What are owner's thoughts about their 2008 to 2010 Duramax engines and this particular feature??

Should I be looking for a 2007 - before 'regeneration'?

Tor

rapidoxidationman
12-09-2010, 10:16
I don't know a damn thing about your question, but it strikes me as an oxymoron that emissions requirements are met by dumping MORE FUEL into the exhaust... save the earth by burning more fuel.