PDA

View Full Version : Cooling stacks?

Shed
12-09-2010, 19:38
I was at the dealership today for some maintenance stuff, all minor, and of course the dealer has a "checklist" that they run through and note any problems... To me this is more of a "how to make more money" scheme. They tech noted that my cooling stack or stacks needed to be cleaned out. The maint supervisor said they could do it for a low price of $90! I asked what it was and could not get a clear answer other than they are passages that help keep the truck cool.... Hmmmm. I'm not even close to a shade tree mechanic but that sounded like B.S. to me. So what are cooling stacks? I know what they are on buildings, but does my truck have them?

JohnC
12-09-2010, 20:13
Front to back: oil coolers, AC condenser, intercooler and radiator.

DmaxMaverick
12-09-2010, 22:14
If your 2001 has never had the stack cleaned, it's probably overdue. It's amazing what gets accumulated in them, and it can cause overheating issues that get blamed on something else (that cost more than $90, and still don't fix the problem). You could save the bucks and do it yourself, but in the end, you may decide that $90 wasn't so bad. I do my own and several others, and it is a $90 job. Not a bad price from a dealer.

moss6
12-10-2010, 06:52
I'd say that $90 is an etremely good price 'IF' the job is done properly. Properly, involves removal of upper cowl and grill along with the fan shroud. A bug desolver needs to be used and given time to work before water flushing and them pressurized air blow out; this usually takes several times to really remove things. After clean a fin comb needs to be used to straighten all the bent cooling fins damaged by all the suicidal insects. Yes, a real bargain.