PDA

View Full Version : No start 95'

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-09-2010, 23:35
so, after getting the truck back on the road with a new thermostat/gaskets, i ran into another problem. it won't start. getting it towed up to speed and roll starting works. when the key is turned, the LP comes on, and the starter solenoid clicks. i don't think it's the starter but maybe? i don't think PMD is the problem as it fires right up. help!

93GMCSierra
12-10-2010, 16:29
So is the problem no crank?
can you jump the starter to see if it spins over.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-10-2010, 18:03
might give that a try. have to crawl under there and mess around. i have a spare PMD and i will probably plug that in real quick just to cover that base, even tho i think it isn't the problem here.

Robyn
12-11-2010, 08:18
If all you get is a CLICK the PMD is not in this scenario.

The issue is in the starter/solenoid.

Get the RH front tire/wheel off and the rubber flap out of your way and the starter R&R is a snap.

You can easily access the tail hanger on the starter as well as the wiring.

The click means that the solenoid is getting power from the ignition switch.

Now before you get all nuts with ripping the starter off.

The starter is powered off the RH battery and the chassis and main power to the truck comes off the left battery.

Take a few moments and be sure that the battery cables are in good order on the RH battery and that the connections are all clean and tidy.

Batteries new or at least in good order ???

Battery cables on these are more trouble than many realize.

Check the + and the - cables at the battery and the engine block.

This dual system has been known to drive folks nuts. If a ground on the RH battery fails, the starter can't get power from the battery.

The earlier trucks 92-94 (GMT400) sourced the starter and the chassis supply off the RH battery but, in 95 they split the system and the RH supplies the starter (Or at least the cable runs from the RH battery) then the two batteries are tied together.
The LH side is connected to the alternator and to the chassis feed (Junction/fuse/relay box)

If the crossover cable is not working right, the RH battery will not get charged and will go dead.

A quicky check, get the truck going with a push start and then check the voltage at both batteries. should be 13.5 to 14V at both.

If you see a major difference, you have cable issues.

If all this stuff is fine then move to the starter.

Check it out.

Missy

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-11-2010, 11:29
hey robyn, it was the starter.
i didn't remove tire, just dropped the slave cylinder and everything came out fine. the batteries are new optima red top's and all cables are in good shape and clean.

hopefully this is all that will happen for a while with the truck

Robyn
12-11-2010, 12:40
Gald you found the gremlin.

Better now than out in the bush somewhere.

best

Missy

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-11-2010, 18:23
yes, found that gremlin and fixed it. had to remove the crossover to access the plug on the side of the slave housing so that i could guide the pin onto the fork. moving the slave into position, and suddenly clutch fluid is dribbling out of the newly cracked line.

hurled some words and threw a snowshovel across the yard. really ticked right now. ah well, at least the line is cheap.

a5150nut
12-11-2010, 22:58
Any time you remove the slave cylinder, remove the pins that hold the line and remove the line, both ends. Next to watch for is the bottom of the master cracking from the stress on moving the line without removing it. I learned that the hard way. Had to drive 30 miles in heavy traffic and lights to pick up a master cylinder and get home to be able to replace it. Try to leave room to not have to stop and 5 cars jump in front of you so I ended up having to kill the motor and start it in gear again.:eek:

Robyn
12-12-2010, 07:41
Luckily for you, F U B A R 's come in threes.

You have had your 3 now so life should be good for a while.

Seems like its always something eh ??

Hope things get better

Missy

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-12-2010, 19:13
yea, hoping once the line is replaced, that this beast will smarten up. down to our little s-10 which is terminal, could pass on at any time.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-27-2010, 13:29
Luckily for you, F U B A R 's come in threes.

You have had your 3 now so life should be good for a while.

Seems like its always something eh ??

Hope things get better

Missy

so, two weeks later, i finally got my chance to put in the clutch line. got it done on the top, master hooked up, ready to go. broke off the old line above the slave and pulled the slave out so i could safely remove the roll pin.

no luck, a few attempts and the end of the slave snapped off. i have me some fire insurance on the truck. might have to pull the e-prom and the rims and then light her up! :D:D:D

a5150nut
12-27-2010, 19:58
I have had good luck with those pesky little roll pins using a small finish nail and a pair of channel locks. Mount both ends, master and slave before attaching the line. And don't force anything. Damn cylinders aren't cheap ....... to buy!

6.5 Detroit Diesel
01-03-2011, 12:31
got everything together on saturday. bled really easy, everything worked. started it a grand total of three times, and the started i had put in crapped out. words failed to describe my feelings. i almost had to resort to using a hammer to show how i felt. :D

oh well, reman starter going in this morning. have a really steep driveway, so awaiting my buddy in his 03' ZF6 d-max to come tow me up the driveway and roll start me. he's got a heated shop, oh yea