View Full Version : Fuel Filter components

vernj4
12-12-2010, 10:54
A previous thread defined the following components:
1-O-rings
2-water drain
3-internal nipple grommet
4-bleeder screw

The new fuel filter comes with 2 new o-rings; one large one for the top of the filter can and one small one for the WIF sensor (water drain?). I know where the bleeder screw is BUT I have no knowledge of what the "internal nipple grommet" is or even what it looks like. I
ASSUME the internal nipple grommet is an intregal part of the fuel filter. If it is not, perhaps this is why I have difficulty getting all the air out of the fuel system.

DmaxMaverick
12-12-2010, 11:08
The internal grommet fits into the top/small hole of the new filter, and slips around the filter assy nipple as the filter is installed. Sometimes, they will stick to the nipple and not come out with the old filter (causes problems installing the new filter, as 2 will not fit). The grommet should be already installed into the new filter, and there should only be the 2 additional O-rings, as you've found. The only other seals involved are the bleeder screw and water drain valve O-rings, and they are not included with the replacement filter element.

vernj4
12-12-2010, 11:52
"The internal grommet fits into the top/small hole of the new filter, and slips around the filter assy nipple as the filter is installed. Sometimes, they will stick to the nipple and not come out with the old filter (causes problems installing the new filter, as 2 will not fit). The grommet should be already installed into the new filter, and there should only be the 2 additional O-rings, as you've found."

If the internal grommet is missing, will this cause a air leak problem?

DmaxMaverick
12-12-2010, 12:21
No. But it will allow unfiltered fuel past the filter and into the engine. The grommet separates the clean and dirty sides of the filter/assy.