PDA

View Full Version : Air Bag

conway
12-13-2010, 10:29
Just started up my 03 and the message 'service air bags' came on. It turned off after about a minute. What does the servicing of the air bags require?

Gapper_ca
01-14-2011, 10:25
had this come up on my '05. had it checked and it is the sensor at the front of truck. have to get it replaced yet but 90% of the time this is the culprite . can be the wiring harness to it as well.

conway
01-14-2011, 11:48
Mahalo for the reply

jbplock
01-17-2011, 10:53
I had the same problem on my 03 a few years back .. The radio/CD player buttons on the steering wheel had also stopped working. In my case I had to replace the the SIR Coil (Sudden Impact Restraint) or "clock spring". It's a coiled up flex circuit that's located on the steering wheel under the air bag. It's purpose it to route electrical wiring including the Air Bag circuit from the (moving) steering wheel to the stationary harness on the steering column. The SIR system runs diagnostics that includes checking the steering wheel air bag connection. If it fails you get the service air bags message in the DIC. Unfortunately if this your problem you have to replace the whole harness and they aren't cheap. Cost me a little over $200 for a new OEM part.

Here's a thread with some more info ..
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=24468

:)