PDA

View Full Version : Block Heater Working?

First
12-13-2010, 19:55
Gentlemen,

Two questions. Is there a better way to tell if the block heater is working other than the temp gauge? Two, this is probably a dumb question, but how long can you leave a truck plugged in? I've heard horror stories about faulty wiring and fires... I can say my plug was just cut from the wiring harness today, I just never used it and obviously should have been.

Scott

Yukon6.2
12-14-2010, 08:43
Hi
If it is quite,you can here the sound like an electric kettle being pluged in.Up here in the cold it's not uncommon for vehicals to be pluged in for days on end.To bring a vehical up to temp only takes a few hours in extreem cold.They claim 2 hours is plenty,but my truck starts way better after being pluged in overnight,i have two blockheaters and a oilpan heater.It will start at -40 after being pluged in for 2 hours.
Thomas

First
12-14-2010, 11:04
Thanks for the info Thomas. I think I need to invest in an oil pan heater, it can only help!

Scott

JohnC
12-14-2010, 11:32
Others will probably disagree, but, if you live in NC you probably won't ever need it....

First
12-14-2010, 11:53
You're probably right. I live in the mountain/foothill area where we usually only have a total of 3-4 weeks of cold temps (5-15 F). For instance this morning it was 9 F and my truck had a completely different sound! I know this is nothing compared to those mid-western temps but i just didn't want any damage that could be prevented...

Thanks, Scott

JohnC
12-14-2010, 16:19
Check the owner's manual. I don't think it's even recommended above 0F...

The different sound is due to increased timing.

leolkfrm
12-18-2010, 19:31
I use mine under 30 degrees, makes for an easier startup