PDA

View Full Version : Overheating

ajg6989
12-13-2010, 20:40
My diesel overheats to about 220 when giving it gas after about ten minutes driving. The fan can be moved side to side and I can see movement down by the spacer on the fan clutch. Something is squeeking especially in the cold. Putting on the heat makes no difference in temp. The radiators temp is 90 the thermostat is 177 on one side and 194 on the other side check with a hand held temp gun with laser pointer. When I let up on the gas it drops about 5 degrees imediately. Is it the fan clutch?

Robyn
12-14-2010, 07:59
The issue could be either the fan/clutch and also the T stat may not be working.

Be sure the radiator is clear too.

Did this issue just start ???

Once the thing gets to 220F, is there any coolant being puked out the overflow ?? Is the top radiator hose really hard ??

If these things are happening you may have a failing head gasket.

Keep us posted

Missy

ajg6989
12-14-2010, 08:09
no leaking coolant replaced fan clutch helps alittle stabilizing temps but not as far as I want them to be the lower hose feels rock hard checked today 197 on metal side of t stat and 179 on hose side. The water pump is 189 the lower hose is 125. its been getting hot since the weather started getting cold. squeeks less but still there occasionally. Its reading 218 about on the gauge on the dash maybe its off alittle

JohnC
12-14-2010, 11:01
You should not be able to move the fan side to side!