PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Brake Lines!!

cowboywildbill
12-16-2010, 14:37
I have been reading on the sister forum about owners that are having brake lines rust through on late model trucks some as new as 06. I usually spray paint my lines with Rust Oleum type paint first thing when I get a new truck. And it seemed to help. Now on the 2011 and maybe it came out on previous years, but not sure though, any way the new trucks have gone to a different style brake line. It is a Polly coated line and is supposed to address the issue of the rust. I was talking to a friend of mine that is the Tech at our local Chevy Dealer and he said that he has replaced quite a few of the older style lines due to rust.
When doing replacement brake lines He likes to use NAPA's Polly "plastic" coated brake line that is the same size diameter as OEM and is easier to bend and flare. He makes up each line individually. It is cheaper also than OEM. And seems to last better. Stainless is also a great way to go, but cost more and is not as easy to bend and flare and requires a tool to make bends whereas the Polly coated line doesn't. From what I'm reading and hearing, Road Salt is probably a big contributing factor. Doesn't hurt to crawl under and look for any signs of decay. And don't forget to check from the master cylinder on down, those lines rust also.
Better to see a problem before you stomp on them brakes and they get squishy or worse. Wild Bill

More Power
12-22-2010, 15:35
Thanks for the info. It's about time GM addresses the rusty brake line issues. This problem goes back to the 1990s trucks as well, especially those from the rust belt...

Jim

cowboywildbill
12-22-2010, 17:38
Your welcome, I hope the new poly coated lines solve the problem. The rusty brake lines don't seem to be as prevalent on cars as on the trucks. I wonder if they are a different type of steel?

DmaxMaverick
12-22-2010, 19:55
Your welcome, I hope the new poly coated lines solve the problem. The rusty brake lines don't seem to be as prevalent on cars as on the trucks. I wonder if they are a different type of steel?

I wouldn't thinks so. The cars are lower to the ground and have a less exposed chassis. This would "hide" the lines, among other things, from the elements. Truck engine compartments and undercarriages are always dirtier, all else being equal.

cowboywildbill
12-23-2010, 10:39
That makes sense. I never looked at it that way.

87max
12-23-2010, 14:31
I replaced some of the brake lines on my daughters car with the poly coated to see if there would be an improvement. I think it may help as far as the seams splitting and where brackets mount but more often than not it's next to the fittings that let go anyhow. Time will tell. They weren't much more so what the hay, it cant hurt, unless the vinyl splits and crud can lay in there......hmmm?