PDA

View Full Version : PMD on a 1998 model 6.5TD Savanna

musicman
05-07-2004, 12:33
I have read about so many PMD failures...
makes me wonder. My question is. Where in the world is the pump that it is mounted to anyway? I was looking around for an hour from inside the cab with the engine cover removed and I could not make it out. Another thing... When I decide on a PMD cooler, is the tight space in there an issue for the vans? Has anyone out there done the job on a Savanna?

JTodd
05-07-2004, 12:40
That is a good question. It took me a while to figure out that it is under the intake manifold, in the valley between the banks of cylinders. Which I might add is an absolutely brilliant place for a piece of electronics susceptible to heat-caused failure.

Removal and checking FSD (PMD) is a pain, and I recommend doing it once, and only once. I changed mine about 3 weeks ago, so I know.

gmctd
05-08-2004, 19:10
The injection pump is in the valley between the heads, at the front of the intake manifold, just below the t-stat\coolant cross-over manifold.

The PMD is that little black box mounted on the driver's-side of the inj pump.

You have to look hard to see it, and work twice as hard to replace it.

Most folks just get a spare with a heat sink and extension harness for remote mounting.

richard7
05-09-2004, 07:42
It is hard to see either from the front or the back (inside cab, cover removed) of the engine.

To have access to it, you must removed the top intake crossover and the left intake manifold. You can then better see the injection pump.

Remote mounting is in the project list, planning to put it inside the cab. There is space too in the engine compartment, especially below the brake master cylinder.

barebackjake
05-09-2004, 17:01
the way to go with that is dont bother removing your old pmd.

unplug the old one, plug in you new wiring harness and there is a grommet hole in the passenger side fire wall, go through that and mount a piece of angle to the bottom of the dash and bolt your cooler onto that. it has taken a beating there from my dumb apprentice tossing gear and himself into the passenger seat without problems. i have a 97 savanna cutaway w 14foot box on it

barebackjake
05-09-2004, 17:03
sorry forgot this, only thing you have to remove to get to it is the plastic intake tube, long screwdriver works great to pop the clip and slide it off

musicman
05-11-2004, 17:30
So. I am thinking that what you are saying is that on a van the PMD is going to be more easily accesible from under the hood? Correct me if I am wrong.
It's a jungle under there!

barebackjake
05-12-2004, 20:12
nah got to get from it from the engine cover inside the cab, right between the manifolds, under the intake tube right behind the turbo. pull out the intake black plastic tube then reach in with a screwdriver and unclip the retainer holding the plug in and pull it up
took me like 2 hours and a 6 pack of beer

musicman
05-13-2004, 20:09
Thank you very much. You have been very helpful.