PDA

View Full Version : Dual exhaust

Robyn
12-24-2010, 19:55
Does anyone make a decent 3" dual exhaust KIT for the mid/late 80's K5 Blazer

I want to install a new system on the 6.2 powered Project Blazer.

Used to be easy to scare that stuff up. Used to come in a large box with everything you needed.

Any help

Missy

85-m1028
12-24-2010, 20:06
I always thought it would be cool to slap on a set of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/exhaust-manifolds-Headers-HMMWV-M998-M998A2-/290448129050?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a00ebc1a

and have a set of pipes custom made! I know that wasn't the question but What the hey! LOL! :)

Robyn
12-25-2010, 07:08
Interesting, those Hummer headers.

Just dont want to fork out the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :eek: to have a local exhaust shop custom bend a system

With the Blazer at the bare rolling chassis at this point, I can easily install a new system, even if I have to get a "Universal" Kit that comes with a lot of bends and other goodies.

Used to be that several companies offered a "BOX" kit that would basically bolt right on.

With the wire welder sitting close by, this would be a real easy trick at this point to get the exhaust all cleaned up and in good shape.

I really would like a 3" system to go back on the little 6.2

Missy

Yukon6.2
12-25-2010, 12:53
Hi
Merry Christmas,glad to see i'm not the only gm crazy person to be checking on fellow gm nuts on a holiday.Sitting in the midst of wrapping paper that has outlived it's purpose,now it's next job is to start fires in the boiler.
You could try Diamond Eye exhaust,i belive they are in your neck of the woods.I'm going to try them whenever i get a few $$ together,i need a bigger system on my wrecker,and there is something rattling in the muffler.I figered the shipping wouln't be to bad up here.
The other way would be to get yourself a bunch of mandrel bent 180's in the size you want to build and cut and weld as required.I got some from NAPA when i was building the crossover for my banks turbo system.It would be a brezze to fab up without the body on the frame.
Have a good one
Thomas

Robyn
12-26-2010, 08:52
Yesssss, the job is far simpler with the tub off the thing for sure.

Really was hoping to find somebody that still produced a "Box Kit"

The Kits were great, they very closely followed the factory fit and locations of the bends too.

The thing I hate most about the stuff that many of the exhaust shops do, is that they tend to make a system that is easy for them to get in, but then you just try and get a tranny/T case out and down. :eek:

The other option I may go with is to carefully cut the exisitng pipes off right at the muffler with a sawzall and then have the local muffler shop bend me some matching pipes out of 3 Inch.

I can then fabricate any needed brackets to adapt the mufflers I chooose into the frame.

The best part with the truck is that everything under there is pretty much as it came from Ma General back in 84.

The pipes, hangers and mufflers are all still stock and have never been molested.

If I do the exhaust now while the body is off (still has a bad engine) I can get everything all in and fit correctly with minimal hastle.

Then I will swap the 85 body onto the chassis and install the good engine while the front clip is still off.

Swapping the bodies will be a snap too.

I can jack the 85 body up and roll the chassis out, then roll the 84 diesel chassis back under the body and sit it down on new mounts and be set to go.

I really dont want to mess with trying to swap everything over to the 85 chassis (diesel exhaust and the fuel lines and such.

This could be done, but its just more time consuming to cut all the muffler brackets off the frame and then fasten them back on the other one.

Wanting to install new body mounts anyway (give a smoother quieter ride) this just make sense to me.

Thanks again.

I will check diamond eye

Thanks

Missy

Robyn
12-27-2010, 13:07
Got a quote this morning from the local Muffler shop to copy my Old exhaust pipe off the Blazer in all new 3 inch.

About $200

This sounds good to me. Just get some new mufflers and its off to the rodeo. Yeeehaaaaa.:D

Missy