PDA

View Full Version : My 6.5 now sounds like my Craftsman compressor...

markrinker
05-07-2004, 14:08
...my unused (TurboMaster installed) vaccuum pump blew out whatever used to occupy the side and now has a 3/4" hole that is making a sound similar to an air compressor.

To temporarily stop the annoying noise, I slapped a peice of duct tape over the hole. When it came loose, it was covered with soot and metal shavings...

Have TurboMaster users simply shortened the serpentine belt and removed the pump? I'd love to know the part # or inner diameter I need for the shorter belt if anyone knows it!!!

markelectric
05-07-2004, 14:30
I just asked for a belt for a 93 6.5 and it fit just fine. I would go look but I sold the truck a few days ago. Cummins Dodge on the way to replace it.

catmandoo
05-07-2004, 16:39
mine on my 92 took a crap too.when you go to get a belt just get one for without vac pump,but you will probably have to get it for a 92 or 93 as i think yours has to have the pump.

Phil Holmen
05-07-2004, 18:56
I have a belt off of a 93 6.5L turbo on my truck, I removed the vaccum pump entirely.

Gapper_ca
05-08-2004, 07:14
I have been thinking of going to the Turbo Master. i would really like to get rid of the vaccum pump as well. i have repalced one of the erg sensors but i still get a check engine light due to code 404... egr system oout of value.

Phil Holmen
05-08-2004, 07:18
If you still have stock ecm or chip and remove the vaccum pump you will set codes, all kinds related to egr and wastegate operation.

whatnot
05-08-2004, 10:29
An L65 doesn't have any EGR stuff and doesn't care if you remove the vacuum pump.

markrinker
05-09-2004, 06:11
Yep, I don't have EGR stuff...thanks for the info on the right belt to swap, guys.

I get the SES light, code 78 with my TurboMaster and the stock ECM combo when I get my foot into it towing. Definately cuts back on fuel, but not to a point that its a problem.

Truck/trailer/up to 4 tons cargo still runs 65MPH and holds the hills reasonably with the SES light on.

I have become used to driving with my foot mashed to the floor all day...

markelectric
05-09-2004, 06:30
Ok shoot me now.......Hey Mark if you want to pull those loads with ease, try a Cummins. I just got my second one home and this thing is a pullin horse. It is amazing what a feel the blue chip box gives whan it is switched on. Oh what a joy to be in the left hand lane, passing everything in sight, with the cruise set, pulling a 10,000# trailer...........

whatnot
05-09-2004, 09:44
You can fix the code 78 with a boost fooler. The computer doesn't like seeing over 6 or 7 psi.

JohnC
05-09-2004, 11:00
Originally posted by Mark Rinker:
Definately cuts back on fuel, but not to a point that its a problem.
Less fuel is less power. Not a problem, but you'll get better performance if you either fool it into thinking the boost is in range or turn the Boostmaster back enough to put out the light.

rjwest
05-09-2004, 16:46
Whats a boost fooler?????
, Keep getting fuel cut back
at 9 psi, " no codes" have to keep clearing
history with my laptop....
BIG differance in power when " fuel cut back is set in pcm.

whatnot
05-09-2004, 17:08
Originally posted by rjwest:
Whats a boost fooler?????
, Keep getting fuel cut back
at 9 psi, " no codes" have to keep clearing
history with my laptop....
BIG differance in power when " fuel cut back is set in pcm. You can buy a premade one from Kennedy (calls it an electronic boost controller) or just wire in some resistors or a potentiometer. It doesen't need to be adjustable since it doesn't controll the actual boost so fixed resistors will work ok.
There used to be some post here on how to wire it. If you can't find them, I can try explaining it in an email. whatnot@ureach.com