PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 IP in 6.5 ?

HH
12-28-2010, 10:51
Can I use an injection pump from a 1985 6.2 G-van in a 1993 6.5? Both are mechanical injection.

The pump is acting up. During the summer when it would get hot, it would not start without some help from the lift pump or a cooling of the IP. Now every once in a while it will start, run and die. A couple times I got it to restart, but the other night I had to power up the lift pump to get it to start. The IP has over 100,000 on it.

Robyn
12-28-2010, 11:12
It will bolt right on.

The plungers in the 6.2 pump are a tad smaller and the IP will not deliver quite the same amount of fuel.

If your 6.5 is a Turbo, just remove the little triangle plate on the RH side of the IP as looking from the drivers seat.

Rotate the IP until the fuel screw comes around.

Turn the screw clockwise IIRC to give the IP more fueling ability.

If your truck has an automatic tranny, swap the TPS switch over to the 6.2 pump and your set.

If you line up the marks on the front housing of the IP with the marks on the timing cover, your timing should be close.

Good luck and keep us posted

Missy

Kennedy
12-28-2010, 18:34
The 6.2 pump will be no match for a good DB2 4911. Your pump needs a full rebuild primarily head/rotor assy. Watch out for cheap rebuilds or you will be back in the same boat in short order.

Robyn
12-29-2010, 07:07
I agree with JK on this one.

The 6.2 Pump will get you going and if $$$$$ are tight right now you can certainly get the truck useable again in short order.

The 4911 IP is definately the way to go for optimal power.

Stay away from the "rebuilt" stuff offered on ebay. Most of this stuff is junk.

Your original IP can be rebuilt by a good pump shop, so dont discard it.

Good luck

Robyn

HH
12-30-2010, 09:38
Great info. Thanks for the help.

DaveBr
12-30-2010, 13:12
You would be really disapointed with the power drop from the 6.2 pump. You have an 18:1 engine and it is capable of handling way more fuel than the 6.2 pump can deliver. If It was my truck I would seriously look at the DB2 Marine pump which has the largest diameter plungers. JMHO