PDA

View Full Version : December 2010 Articles

More Power
12-28-2010, 11:55
Duramax Belt Tensioner Replacement
The serpentine belt tensioner is a wear item that will need to be replaced - eventually. I recently replaced a noisy belt tensioner on my 10-year old 86,000-mile 2001 GMC. I suspected either the pulley bearing was on the verge of failure or the tension hub had become worn - it was producing a rattling sound that indicated it was not long for this world. For either type of problem, replacing the belt tensioner with a new one is the best cure. While replacing a tensioner isn't all that difficult, what appears here are a few tips that can help you do the job correctly.

Duramax 6600 Fastener Torque Specifications
More than a million Duramax powered pickups are now out of warranty. The cost of dealer service can sometimes be beyond what many owners are willing to spend, but they are willing to perform more of any required maintenance themselves. Doing the work correctly requires a proper use of hand tools, and correctly torquing the fasteners during re-assembly is absolutely vital. In addition, much of the engine is made from aluminum, which requires all of us to take precautions when re-assembling the engine to avoid stripping the threads. Stripped threads will turn a relatively routine job into a real pain. That's where a comprehensive torque specs sheet comes in.

Now available to subscribers in the Member's Area (http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm#features).