PDA

View Full Version : Brake pulls hard to left!

DA BIG ONE
09-02-2004, 02:13
The brakes seen to work fine when driving around town, no pull, when I am on the highway they seem ok too, except when I have to apply them harder then I get a major pull to left.

markrinker
09-02-2004, 03:37
Assuming front pads are good - you may have a stuck caliper on the right front, so all your braking force is on the left front.

If pads and calipers look good - same 'dive' to one side under heavy braking at highway speed can be caused by worn control arm bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, steering gears or a combo of both.

I'd troubleshoot brakes first, and if that doesn't solve it, eliminate items from the second list in the order listed.

jdmetcalf57
09-02-2004, 08:12
I've had this problem on 2 other gm trucks of this vintage. What mine turned out to be is just corrosion in the rubber flex line bracket clamping the brake line shut. All I had to do was pry the brake line bracket open remove the rust and close it back up. The symptom of this is pulling to one side with rapid application of the brakes. If the brakes are applied slowly it won't pull to one side as bad. The corrosion is restricting the brake fluid flow on one side. It will pull toward the opposite side that has the problem.

The first time I had this happen I like to never found it. The brake line looks fine but will not pass much fluid.

DA BIG ONE
09-02-2004, 11:22
Thanks for the input, as I am in Palm Beach Florida I have other more pressing issues right now. Once it blows through, I can dig into this brake isssue.

HowieE
09-02-2004, 11:57
If the above does not solve your problem look at the passanger side rear brake for oil. If it there to the extent it is the problem you can remove one of the adjuster caps and reach in on an angle fore or aft with a clean Q tip till you contact the back side of one of the shoes. If the Q tip come out wet you found your problem.

norm
09-02-2004, 17:46
A couple of trucks I have had developed a pull problem, and I could notice a very slight pull to the other side after releasing brakes. May have thought to be caliper at first, but after just replacing both front hoses, problem gone. They can deteriorate and swell shut a bit inside.

We are praying for you all in FL with ill wind coming.

DA BIG ONE
09-02-2004, 19:29
Originally posted by norm:
A couple of trucks I have had developed a pull problem, and I could notice a very slight pull to the other side after releasing brakes. May have thought to be caliper at first, but after just replacing both front hoses, problem gone. They can deteriorate and swell shut a bit inside.

We are praying for you all in FL with ill wind coming. Thanks for the prayers, and the input to the question.

This board is the best!

DA BIG ONE
09-02-2004, 19:32
Originally posted by HowieE:
If the above does not solve your problem look at the passanger side rear brake for oil. If it there to the extent it is the problem you can remove one of the adjuster caps and reach in on an angle fore or aft with a clean Q tip till you contact the back side of one of the shoes. If the Q tip come out wet you found your problem. Good thought, I'll check this too....

ttpost
09-03-2004, 07:09
did it do it before your accident? is it possible a line was damaged. in washington whenever you pull a vehicle with a tow truck you have to run a safety chain, no matter how you hook up. i have seen drivers run their chain around an axle over brake lines. if they leave their chain too short when they make a turn in crimps the line. you might want to check that also.

DA BIG ONE
09-03-2004, 11:59
Originally posted by ttpost:
did it do it before your accident? is it possible a line was damaged. in washington whenever you pull a vehicle with a tow truck you have to run a safety chain, no matter how you hook up. i have seen drivers run their chain around an axle over brake lines. if they leave their chain too short when they make a turn in crimps the line. you might want to check that also. Nope did not pull before, I will pay close attention to the lines too.
Thanks