PDA

View Full Version : C4500 Duramax with High miles

SuperD
01-01-2011, 08:31
I'm looking at a 2004 C4500 crewcab Duramax with 250,000 miles. What kinda life should u get out of a Duramax? I know it depends on how it was taken care of and how I take care of it. What about the Allison with 250,000 miles? I'm currently using a 2006 2500HD to pull my trailer. I like the idea of having a larger truck in front of the trailer. I been reading some of the other post here also, now I'm woundering if there is no real advantage to go to a C4500. or any large med size crew cab trucks.

Mark Rinker
01-03-2011, 07:06
Hello - great questions. I have owned seven Duramax/Allison powered trucks, one was a 2004 C4500. Alot has to do with what you are towing, how far you tow it, and alot of subjective personal preferences.

As far as the 250K, I wouldn't be afraid of the truck - but would be very curious to know how many sets of injectors it has gone through. I bought my truck with 25K, and by 135K, it had already needed TWO SETS, luckily covered under warranty.

With a set of 8 new sprays running ~5K, it is a major consideration when buying a high mile used Duramax.

So...

What is 8th digit of truck's VIN (identifies engine family)
How heavy do you tow
How far do you tow
What is most important to you in a tow rig (ride, mileage, braking, look, etc.)