PDA

View Full Version : Ruh Roh Raggy

Knuckledragger
01-01-2011, 13:04
New to the forum with some questions.

Made it 100 miles down the cold -25 road to nowhere. Started hearing a high pitch noise...kind of a whistle really...never heard it before. Went away when let off the acc. pedal and mph fell below 50. It came back when got back on the pedal and above 50 mph. A few minutes prior to this noise, panel flashed "service 4WD" message a couple times. Never saw this message before. Punked out like a ***** and turned her around and headed home. At minus 25 early new years day out in BFE...didn't wanna end up a frozen statistic.

Anybody heard this noise before? Couldn't tell where it was coming from so not really sure if it had anything to do with the "service 4WD" message? Or the really cold weather for that matter. No fluids lost...levels good...idk?

2005 GMC 2500 6.6

mattb5150
01-01-2011, 15:07
You could have had an intercooler hose(big blue ones under hood) pop off and be hearing the turbo whine?

Matt

Mark Rinker
01-01-2011, 15:16
WOW...thats cold.

There are so many things that could whine on days like this. My guess is the obvious...something wasn't happy in the xfer case, due to the thick fluid.

When was xfer case last serviced? What fluid was used?
Were you running your winter front? If not - you should be.I wouldn't panic - just evaluate all your service intervals, use the winter front to build and maintain underhood heat, and by all means...

CARRY A SPARE FUEL FILTER AND TOOLS AT ALL TIMES!!! (The most likely cause of a stall in severe cold weather, in the middle of BFE - when water trapped in filter element freezes and blocks flow.)

Knuckledragger
01-01-2011, 17:49
Good little list of chores I can get going on.

Thanks Mark