PDA

View Full Version : Another pcv system shocker

crazydave01
01-02-2011, 08:38
Well I took my intake tube off the other day and here is what I saw !

I have two more pics that are better but they are attached in another post.

I am going to install 2 oil separators, one from each valve cover and keep the system intact. I know there is a bunch of users on here who would rather dump the pcv system to atmosphere but I will not. In a N/A system that would work perfectly fine, for that matter any system where perfect running and mileage is not a concern it is fine too. But in a forced induction system where perfect driveability and mileage are a concern I believe keeping the pcv system intact is a must.

The pressure in the crankcase comes from one place, blow by. Blow by is metered air so if you vent that to atmosphere you are injecting fuel for air not used in the combustion process. Yes I understand it is minimal but I have experience with it. With my S/C 93 5.0 Cobra the driveability was always an issue that could not be fixed. That is untill I hooked up with a tuner that suggested I use the pcv system as I noted above instead of venting to atmosphere. I made this simple change and what do you know ? Problem solved !

Now that car was putting out 500 RWHP. This was asking alot from a little motor compared to most trucks 6.6 on here but the principle is the same. Metered air needs to go through the cumbustion process !

drcook
01-03-2011, 13:38
have you picked out the oil separators? I sent an email to the Moroso folks about theirs and they couldn't even bother to answer me, guess that I will never buy anything from them again.

do you have a link?

dc

crazydave01
01-03-2011, 14:03
I haven't purchased them yet. I am going to go through my Cobra file and see if I can find the receipt for the ones I bought for it. The only problem is finding ones that are compatible with synthetic oil. Unless you dont care to see through the plastic at what is in the holding tank.

Kennedy
01-03-2011, 14:22
have you picked out the oil separators? I sent an email to the Moroso folks about theirs and they couldn't even bother to answer me, guess that I will never buy anything from them again.

do you have a link?

dc

Most major companies have little to no support for email. It disgusts me too.

I have the PCV working as is on my trucks. A little oil is by far the lesser of the two evils here. The soot (EGR) definitely needs to go though...

crazydave01
01-03-2011, 14:39
this is a link to the part at Jegs. If I get some time I will post a pic of my Cobra with the parts installed. May not be much help. On the truck I am going to cut the line from each valve cover and reroute the lines through the oil separator and back into the original line keeping the factory system in place. It will function as designed and remove the oil from the equation. I will post pics when i do this in two weeks when I get back in town.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/52205/10002/-1

Kennedy
01-03-2011, 14:47
Running Mobil Delvac 1 in my 2007 with factory PCV system I use MAYBE a qt in 10,000 miles plus. I have to check it again. How much oil do you think you are going to save?

As much as people think this oil vapor impacts performance, I'd say it's really between slim and none. If you want the intake to be clean and oil free, vent to atmosphere is my best advice.

drcook
01-03-2011, 15:47
Most major companies have little to no support for email. It disgusts me too.

I have the PCV working as is on my trucks. A little oil is by far the lesser of the two evils here. The soot (EGR) definitely needs to go though...

I do have to say that John Kennedy has the class to answer emails. I have asked questions and John always takes the time to answer, even though I am a couple weeks away from buying.

dc

crazydave01
01-03-2011, 16:45
Running Mobil Delvac 1 in my 2007 with factory PCV system I use MAYBE a qt in 10,000 miles plus. I have to check it again. How much oil do you think you are going to save?

As much as people think this oil vapor impacts performance, I'd say it's really between slim and none. If you want the intake to be clean and oil free, vent to atmosphere is my best advice.

My experience with this is with my 93 5.0 Mustang that was supercharged. The driveability was good but never perfect until I stopped venting the PCV to atmosphere. Once I hooked it back up with the oil separator it was perfect. The reason I was told is the blowby is metered air that needs to be in the system. The other benefit was all of my oil leaks went away.

I have no experience with turbos or duramax engines. I would assume the principal is the same. I'm sure most of these people dont push them as hard as I did that mustang. On my new mustang I did the oil separator right if the bat so I dont know what difference it may have made.

JohnC
01-03-2011, 19:52
Diesels are designed to burn oil.

Air/fuel ratio is non-critical in a Diesel. As long as there is (more than) enough air to fully combust the fuel, you're good to go.

Rick Moroso
01-04-2011, 06:06
dc,

I appologize for no replys to your email. We have a NEW tech guy that WILL answer your questions. Not returning emails is one of the many reasons we have a new tech guy. He is new as far as he just started last week, but he has worked for us in the past, and can answer any questions you have.

Please give us one more chance!

Rick Moroso

do you have a link?

dc

Kennedy
01-04-2011, 07:56
Diesels are designed to burn oil.

Air/fuel ratio is non-critical in a Diesel. As long as there is (more than) enough air to fully combust the fuel, you're good to go.

Yes this is correct.