PDA

View Full Version : improving oem dashboard lighting

3ace
01-03-2011, 19:31
On my 91 Burb that I've owned since day one I've always had very dim dashboard lighting even when the light switch is adjusted for very bright. I've even changed the light switch to no avail. Are there any auto electricians out there that might know of a way to get more brightness to my dashboard lighting? Thanks.

3ace :D

chevytuff
01-03-2011, 20:55
Several things could be wrong here, If you have never been into the dash before I would imagine that most if not all of your bulbs are getting close to burnt out

1. Replace the bulbs,

2. Pull the clear lense off the front of the cluster, remove the black plastic that deflects the light onto the gauges.

Get some chrome spray paint and paint the backside of the black plastic. I have done the following and my guages are twice as bright as they were before.

This is a pretty popular mod and if you google "73-87 chevy dash light mod" you will probably find several step by steps with pictures.

3ace
01-04-2011, 00:08
Several things could be wrong here, If you have never been into the dash before I would imagine that most if not all of your bulbs are getting close to burnt out

1. Replace the bulbs,

2. Pull the clear lense off the front of the cluster, remove the black plastic that deflects the light onto the gauges.

Get some chrome spray paint and paint the backside of the black plastic. I have done the following and my guages are twice as bright as they were before.

This is a pretty popular mod and if you google "73-87 chevy dash light mod" you will probably find several step by steps with pictures.

Chevytuff,
Thank you for your info.
I did google the above and found more info. I will accomplish pretty much the same thing you did but will probably add the 168 bulb versus the OEM 194 bulb.
Hopefully I'll be able to see my guages again without squinting!!
Take care. :)