PDA

View Full Version : GMC C5500 4x4 lockers

Utah Eric
01-05-2011, 17:14
New member here, so forgive me if I'm posting to the wrong area. I'm doing a custom camper build on a C5500 4x4 Topkick. A buddy mentioned I should put lockers on the rear duallies (I decided not to swap out for super singles). Any advice from those experienced with this truck? If so, I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Thanks!

DmaxMaverick
01-05-2011, 17:41
Welcome aboard!

Yeah...Probably the wrong forum. I'll move it to the Medium Duty forum (lower down the main page), after the reply.

A locking rear end is highly recommended for any truck, especially duals, that may ever be driven off the highway, in areas with poor weather conditions, or even a gravel driveway in the winter. Those without will, at some time, wish they had the option. I recommend it for all but a very few applications. It's one of those things you're better to have and not need, than need and not have (like insurance and tire chains). 4x4 won't cover all the bases. If you won't use it much, you can get by with only 4x4, but the convenience and practicality of the locker can get you out of situations 4x4 won't.

In your case, the aftermarket doesn't offer much. The medium duty truck axles are different than common pickup axles. However, there are factory and mfg upfitter options for switchable diff locking. Your best option would be to visit a local Medium/Heavy truck shop. They'll have the answer you need, if you need to install one, or get parts to do it yourself.

Utah Eric
01-06-2011, 18:13
Thanks. The rig is at a qualified upfitter as we speak, so I'll bring it up with them tomorrow. And thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

DieselDavy
01-07-2011, 08:38
Eric,
Let us know how it turns out. I'd be interested in the $ order of magnitude!
Thanks,
Dave