PDA

View Full Version : No glow plugs, cranks, but no start

jf-schaack
01-09-2011, 08:26
Hi guys, tried searching but failed to find a solution on here. I've been having an occasional problem with my truck where the glow plugs will not cycle and it won't start (even if warmed up, cranks but no start, like there is no fuel as well). Everything else on the truck is working. Before if it acted up I could wiggle wires at the glow plug solenoid and usually get running. Eventually I found the wires to the glow plug solenoid were really loose so I tightened.

Last night I had the same problem again with no plugs and no start, then got it going, then died driving down the road 1 mile away. I pulled off glow plug solenoid wires from solenoid and cleaned off all corrosion then tightly reassembled, didn't do anything. Then, randomly I tried once more and everything work and started. Driving down road 3 miles later, dies again and same problem.

I'm at a loss for words! Not sure if the glow plug solenoid is bad and causing the problem? Not sure if the glow plug solenoid has anything to do with activation/run of fuel system? I've got electrical schematics for a 1993 6.5L, guessing things are different for my 1997. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm parked in a BMW lot dead in the water and we've got 10" of snow on the way! Yikes!

Thanks a bunch.
James

chevytuff
01-09-2011, 09:18
Sounds like you have two different issues here,

A. Your first issue regarding the glow plugs not activating, Can you hear the glow plug relay clicking when you turn key on? If you cannot I would venture to say you have a wiring or relay issue, I was having wiring issues with my glow plug relay and wasnt sure if it was the relay or wiriing to it as it was intermittant and left me stranded several times. I started carrying around a short length of 8 gauge wire to jump the relay off. In doing so I figured out that the wiring was suspect replaced and havent had an issue with it since.

B. If you truck is starting and driving then a mile or two down the road dieing thats not your glow plugs, that sounds like an issue with you shutoff solenoid or your PMD (Black Box).

JohnC
01-09-2011, 09:46
Could be one electrical problem causing the glow plugs to not work and the fuel shutoff solenoid as well...

rameye
01-09-2011, 13:09
I had a similar issue with my glow plug controller..actually 2-3 of these.....not a shutting off problem.

Anyway whenever I would tighten the glow plug terminals (found wires a little looser than what I like) it seemed to work normally than soon afterwards I was getting either a short cycle or no cycle at all.

Changed controller (brand new).....tighten terminals...same issue

Ruling out the computer and wiring.....went for manual engagement on the bench...ha !!! found an intermittent engagement...brand new controller!

Opened up the controller here is what I found....when I was tightening the glow plug terminals, I was twisting the wiring inside... which was making it hard for the solenoid to engage fully or at all.

Put everything back to where it belonged...tightened the terminals so as not to rotate them in the glow plug housing...end of problems.

Seems when they come from the factory the terminals are only snug, which allow a rotation when we hook up our wires and go for the tighten up.

Maybe this will help...maybe not.

Artworks
01-10-2011, 06:24
The ground wire at back of engine by the glow controller / fuel manager. This is a ground for glow ciruit and also for ECM. Remove all grounds, clean, ceck for broken wires ect. and re install. This small wire can break when tightern down the nust that holds everything togeter. Check fuses also. ( 2 for ecm ) I also ran a new ground wire from each battery to the engine and chassis. Make sure the batteries are good &fully charged (13+ v.)