PDA

View Full Version : 96 6.5 turbo, lost power and died

K5-CJ5
01-09-2011, 23:23
My 1996 k2500 6.5 turbo diesel lost power then died while driving, I was able to immediately restart (with difficulty) had large amount of white smoke at start-up and had no power and died again less than a minute later. Then cranked and no start. I can hear the fuel pump come on and I do not think its the PMD as it is completely different symptom than when PMD went out. Please help!

Thanks

Artworks
01-10-2011, 06:16
I still look at the PMD - FSD and wiring. Check connections. I had a poor connection on extension cables, spray some conntact cleaner and reconnect. MAKE SURE BOTH BATTERIES ARE 100%, 13 + V or better & CABLES TOO!!! Check grounds for the ecm / commuter and also fuses. Maybe an ignition switch also. Search the site. Be patient and go through troubleshooting step by step.

rameye
01-11-2011, 12:02
You need to start at step 1..

Check all grounds/ connections..

Verify Fuel to filter then to pump..

Verify Fuel to injectors..

Verify glow system is 100%...dont guess

You only need fuel, compression and a little heat to get these to run, assuming you have compression...something is missing.

K5-CJ5
01-11-2011, 12:51
I checked the batteries and recharged just to be sure, cranked and have fuel to the filter, but not fuel to the injectors. The fuel shut-off is working clicking on and off. The PMD is about a year old, but the last time it failed it had completely different symptoms. The truck would restart at least for a short amount of time. This time the truck wont fire at all. What are the chances its a PMD versus a Pump? I check the wiring to the PMD and connections and all looks ok.

rameye
01-11-2011, 13:31
In my brief (compared to others) experience with these power plants, and after reading post after post for years I can tell you:

a) You need to rule out all of the basics first before going for the exotic, like a sudden pump failure. ( electrical connections, fuses,grounds, fuel delivery/pressure, etc)

b) All of my pump failures (2) were gradual...with strange running and starting characteristics...followed by, or surrounded by interesting pump codes...till death do us part.

c) There is no rhyme or reason to a PMD failure ...anytime...new or old, any way,...any day, Ditech...Stanydyne... strange operating characteristics....start and stops.....screaming idles....plain old no starts.

If you covered the bases well..I would opt for another known/good PMD. Most everybody who's had these engines for any length of time has another known good PMD at there grasp at a moments notice...that tells you something.

If all above fails..then you really have to put on your Sherlock Holmes hat and have at it...step by step...no skipping!

My $.02

I defer to our more seasoned members..

Robyn
01-11-2011, 20:23
Unhook the fuel feed line on the top of the Injection pump, stick it in a can then run the lift pump.

You should get good stream of fuel.

When was the fuel filter last replaced.

Have you been using any Bio diesel ?? this stuff will wax up in the colder weather and plug a filter right quick.

Be sure the filter is clean (Replace it) check that the lift pump is working, bleed the filter out and then go again.

This sounds a lot like a plugged filter.

PMD failures dont cause white smoke.

A plugged filter will basically starve the IP for fuel and it will in effect suck a hole in the fuel and run itself dry.

The result is nearly identical to running the tank dry, with a hard restart and loads of smoke.

Check it out and keep us posted.

Missy