PDA

View Full Version : New Prestone Longlife Coolant

JohnnyR
01-10-2011, 11:02
Prestone has a new longlife coolant that says it is compatible with all color coolants, longlife or otherwise. I'm about to change the coolant on my 2005 LLY and am curious as to whether anybody has tried the new coolant and it's compatibility with Dexcool. Also does the LLY have drain plugs on th block and where are they located?

rapidoxidationman
01-11-2011, 06:56
Plenty of info in the sticky at the top of this sub forum...

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=38228

THEFERMANATOR
01-12-2011, 20:49
I will NEVER EVER use that crap again, EVER! I put it in 2 different engines I built(one of them a brand new short block 350 chevy, the other a 4.0L JEEP) and both of them lost head gaskets within 2 years due to rust around the metal sealing rings in the combustion chamber area. Switched back to ZEREX now from NAPA and is the ONLY brand of anti-freeze I will EVER use again.

rapidoxidationman
01-12-2011, 22:02
Well, they're for sale here

http://dmaxstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=172&products_id=341&zenid=8dkt1q24p8o95d1hc4o3rqgmi2

so they must be on the engine somewhere. Looks like outboard of the cylinders, just below the heads, 2 per side. Look for where the frost heater power cord goes to the engine block and you'll find one location. Looks like there's also one on the front of each bank too... Bet those are kinda tough to dig down to.

Edit: Why would you not want to put Dexcool back when you change the antifreeze?

Kennedy
01-14-2011, 10:59
I run the std Dex Cool stuff that happens to be Prestone branded. This is not a universal type of coolant it is Dex Cool. It also and happened to have a $7 rebate that is probably still running.

I have some Zerex universal stuff, but won't use that in a Dex Cool application.

As for the block drains just get what you can and if you are really concerned, fill with distilled water, run, and drain. It's a lot of froggin around trying to get to block drains etc.

JohnnyR
01-15-2011, 08:02
I'll go with the Prestone Dexcool w/the rebate. Thx for the input.

Kennedy
01-15-2011, 22:32
Be sure to save the foil seal as they want that for the rebate. :rolleyes:

JohnnyR
01-17-2011, 08:26
I'll do a search, but is there a radiator drainplug on a GMC 2005 LLY? Thought it should have been on driver's side but haven't found it yet. Can always pull the lower hose but not as messy if you drain radiator first.

rapidoxidationman
01-17-2011, 08:57
On the diagram it looks like it is on the passenger side, bottom corner...