PDA

View Full Version : Duramax/Powerstroke Tow Test

More Power
01-11-2011, 11:25
Received the latest issue of Diesel Power magazine. In it is a comprehensive towing and fuel economy test for comparably equipped 2011 Chevy & Ford 1-ton diesel pickup trucks. Ford wouldn't contribute a truck to Diesel Power's test, so Chevy bought a brand new Ford for them to use.

If the Ford used for this test is representative of their trucks, they need more power... and braking... ;)

maverick_935
01-11-2011, 16:07
The Ford exhaust braking system is definietly not up to the task but I think the Ford tranny is not even in the same league as the Allison tranny. Good test for the 1 ton market! It seems bad that the cummins for Dodge did not even compete.

christophersond
01-12-2011, 12:16
The Trailer Life magazine, a couple of issues back, had the results of a different test comparing the Dodge, Ford, and a Silverado. The bottom line was the Dodge should have stayed at home, and the Silverado came out on top of the test. The trucks were compared in all areas such as creature comforts, braking, towing, etc.

JohnC
01-12-2011, 12:17
It seems bad that the cummins for Dodge did not even compete.

"A man's got to know his limitations." - Det. Harry Callahan

87max
01-12-2011, 17:24
according to d.p. mag. the dodge isn't rated to pull what the ford & chevy can so they didn't invite them.

maverick_935
01-14-2011, 17:40
I think that is funny considering all the banter the Dodge boys make with their Cummings Dodge.

JohnC
01-14-2011, 18:33
I think that is funny considering all the banter the Dodge boys make with their Cummings Dodge.

The problem isn't the Cummins part, it's the Dodge...

DickWells
01-14-2011, 19:33
Huh! Guess I'm not the only one who still calls a Dodge, a Dodge. When will they learn. The Ram has always been a good mascot for the Dodge truck line, but change the name? Didn't take Chevy long to stop trying to make us all drop that great nick-name, did it?
Love to see these tests, where the GM truck spanks the competition. Still, I have a great big ole spot in my heart for a straight-six engine, especially the Cummins.:D

JohnC
01-14-2011, 19:54
Still, I have a great big ole spot in my heart for a straight-six engine, especially the Cummins.:D

For second there I thought you were going to say a slant six! ;)

DickWells
01-15-2011, 17:18
Now, there was an engine! But you know, I find it hard to believe, now, how much work we used to get out of the old I-block Ford six, too. What was it, just 223 C I? Then there was the 304 Gimmy, 4"X4". All torque, and built to last, too. And the Stove-Bolt, and the, and the, and -----.
Whoops. What was this thread about?
Sorry, guys.:o

moss6
01-15-2011, 18:02
Really was a good fair test, amazing to see the Ford that lacking in pulling power as well as braking, two of the main yardsticks for a TV. I knew that they have had tons of problems over the years with drive train and engine swaps about as often as new model years, but I didn't realize they had slipped that far behind the competition. I guess die hard brand loyality is the only reason they are selling as many as they are, when the best truck is so obviously and drasticly superior.

Big disapointment in the testing is that they did not include EGT readings in the testing. To me that is another one of the critical elements in judgeing a TV. I don't know what the LMM's run but my LML is showing substantially higher EGT's than what the old LBZ ran; or at least unloaded. I did not have a guage when I towed our fifth; and it's now retired for the winter, but it will be interesting to see how towing temps. compare. I can't imagine what the test trucks were running pulling those loads wide open all the way up to the Eisenhower Tunnel; wow, would love to know.

Stlheadake
02-01-2011, 06:53
The REAL point that sticks in my mind is that Ford wouldn't voluntarily come to the line with a truck. I think they pretty much knew the what the results would be. BELIEVE ME, THEY have already run the same tests.

The Superduty will likely keep outselling GM because it is a 'new' truck. New body style, new engine(s), clever gadgets, and great marketing. GM has missed that mark completely. GM trucks clearly perform better in the real world, but the masses don't live in the 'real' world.

I have always gauged the success of a vehicle by how it shows up in fleets. Around here, I RARELY see GM trucks in fleets. I don't know why that is, but I just don't see them.

More Power
02-01-2011, 13:00
Other than front-end cosmetics, what's the difference in body style between the 2011/12 Ford Superduty and the 1998 Superduty?

Ford's use of a solid front axle is one reason why some prefer the Ford, irrespective of the fact that GM's IFS is as durable/longlasting and has an equal or greater front axle GVW. Some prefer the bigger/taller look - more macho, some think.

A longtime Ford Superduty owner I know bought a Chevy Duramax a few years ago because of the performance/reliability reputation of the D/A and the dismal equivalent of the Ford 6.0L PSD. He didn't stay with Chevy very long. He went back to Ford for the solid front axle and the big/tall look...

Jim

moss6
02-02-2011, 17:47
Now Ford has upped their tow ratings again with a new production of 'Gen3', 17,000 hitch pull but you gotta use WD. Getting smoked so bad must be really bothering them; I'd think that they would be concentrating more on better brakes, handling and putting a little power to the pumpkin rather than upping the tow rating. But then it is Ford isn't it.