PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 hop

jjcsnlynn
01-11-2011, 20:49
I've only owned my 2500HD 4x4 for two weeks now. I've driven it 3 times now in the snow. The first two times, no problems.

Tonight, when I turned sharp (and then some as I straightened out) it felt like the inside wheel would hop or drag some. It may have been any other wheel, but definitely felt some sort of bind and release.

Tonights snow had ice (freezing rain and sleet) under an inch of snow. The other two times the snow was straight packed and powdered snow.

I just changed all the fluids on Saturday and didn't drive the truck. I only turned it around in the driveway after changing the front and rear diff fluid and transaxle fluids. I put Dextron VI in the transaxle and GL-5 75-90W in the diffs.

Do I have a problem that I need to figure out or is this normal?

Mark Rinker
01-12-2011, 07:40
Based on your descriptionl I would say 'normal' but its hard to tell over a computer...

What you describe is typical, especially if you are traversing patches of bare pavement. Sometimes I can even feel it in the snowpack with grippy tires.

I like that nudge, or 'jumpy' steering feel - it means you have (more) control in some pretty sloppy conditions!

Kennedy
01-12-2011, 08:05
Probably my best suggestion if you are new to 4x4 is to find a safe place to "play" and get a feel for how it handles. I would find a dry parking lot and do some slow S turns. Here you will feel how it grabs and lurches as the tires bind and release.

Then try to find an icy patch that you can do some slides in. Try 2wd and 4x4 mode. Here you will find that in 2wd steering into the slide results in very predictible results like most any rear wheel drive vehicle. In 4x4 it will act as though the front end weighs 10 tons and steering in will not always allow you to maintain attiitude and control. Simply put, when in 4x4 and steering there will be a bind as the wheels try to spin at different speeds, but the drivetrain resists. Slick conditions allow this to occur with little to no "feel" but dry conditions or varying traction will defintely show.

More Power
01-12-2011, 12:18
Just to recap: The front tires travel a larger arc (cover more distance) than the rear when turning. Because the front and rear axles are mechanically locked together while in 4WD, there has be some tire slip to accommodate the difference in distance traveled between the front and rear tires while in a turn. This produces some hopping, jerking, bumping, etc., varying with tire traction and how tight the turn is. This is normal.

Jim

JohnC
01-12-2011, 12:29
Also, you have a locking rear differential. When your speed is below 20 mph and one rear tire slips the axle will lock the two together. This has a decided effect on steering, and if you are turning, the inside wheel will turn faster than it should and hop.

jjcsnlynn
01-12-2011, 20:03
Thanks for the comments. I did some playing last night Kennedy and had some fun.

I love this truck!

Kennedy
01-13-2011, 15:37
I really think some skid pad training should be a requirement for new drivers. Forget stabilitrak, antilock, traction control etc. Start with these devices disabled and then add them gradually to show how different vehicles respond.

MacDR50
01-13-2011, 17:24
This may be a stupid question but is it possible that her front differential has an after market locker installed? Only reason I ask is her description sounds very much like the "Feel" of the steering on my son's jeep after he and I installed an "Aussie" locker in the front. BTW love the avatar ;)

jjcsnlynn
01-13-2011, 17:50
[quote=MacDR50;277907]This may be a stupid question but is it possible that her front differential has an after market locker installed? Only reason I ask is her description sounds very much like the "Feel" of the steering on my son's jeep after he and I installed an "Aussie" locker in the front. BTW love the avatar ;)[/quote

Even though my name is spelled Jon, it's pronounced John. :)
I found the avatar a few years ago on the Corvette Forum and borrowed it.

I'm pretty sure I don't have a front locker installed. I had one of the front center caps off and it's stock. I think the other one is stock also (but i'll check). The truck was a WT from a local landscape business and I don't think they installed/upgraded these parts. There was a plow on it, i think, based on the way the valance is cut out.

PS. Maybe I should change the avatar. I just thought the bouncing avatar was unique.