Bondurch
01-12-2011, 07:44
*You have seen my posts online at EFI forums * RE: blowing white smoke
*I drive an 08 LMM Duramax. *

*My current set up is this:
*ATS trans
*Fabtech 6" lift with 35's
*Turbo back exhaust - DPF delete
*EGR removal with blocker plate plus the AIV air intake valve (I think that's the name) *was removed
*MPI Twins
*Injectors 40 over (been fully tested)
*DSP5 switch -
*ARP headstuds
*Bully Dog PMT for gauges
*EFI live tunning

*With the current tunes I am leaving a trail of white smoke everywhere I go. *I do not believe I am loosing coolant, compression test checks out ok, the injectors have been fully tested to spec, the turbo has been checked for leaking oil, and there is no diesel in the oil. *We are running out of possibilities and are now focusing on the tune.
*If you let the truck idle in park it purrs like a cat, if you hammer on the throttle in park it blows black smoke. *Its not until you start driving for about a half of a mile that the white smoke starts. *

* any ideas would be helpful

Kennedy
01-12-2011, 07:54
I'd be curious who did the injectors and who "tested" them?

Bondurch
01-12-2011, 08:26
I will find out today.

Kennedy
01-12-2011, 09:06
Also were they removed to be "tested" or just running tests?

My guess is you'll come back with II or purple.

Bondurch
01-12-2011, 10:15
Also were they removed to be "tested" or just running tests?

My guess is you'll come back with II or purple.

The injectors were pulled and tested at a shop in Tomball. They tested ok on tests.

Update. I just drove the truck with two seperate tunes. The truck does not start smoking until driven. The white smoke increases as the truck is driven. It seemsI am blowing oil somewhere or somehow which gets burned off. If I stop the truck and Idle it clears on up.

Kennedy
01-12-2011, 10:57
I'm sorry, but that really doesn't tell me much or answer my questions.

conway
01-12-2011, 11:53
Kennedy:
Curious, what is II and purple refer too?

Bondurch
01-12-2011, 15:30
Kennedy:
Curious, what is II and purple refer too?

I aassume tech 2 dont understand the purple ref. The problem has been solved. The injectors were tested in houston with the new bosch system that is networked into there main hub up north east.

The issue was so simple its scary. We removed the downtube from the exhaust bypassing the muffler. Fixed no more smoke. The muffler had been coated from earlier injector malfunction and was burning off fluids when heated. Thats crazy

Kennedy
01-12-2011, 16:35
And now.....

The rest of the story:

The muffler had been coated from earlier injector malfunction and was burning off fluids when heated.

Always easier to troubleshoot when all the facts are known. ;)

Bondurch
01-12-2011, 20:27
So true. All the facts help in diagnosis!
What strikes my interest is that I searched the white smoke symptoms for the past month and no where do i read white smoke symptoms could be caused by a saturated muffler.

Thanks for the reply Kennedy.

Bondurch
01-13-2011, 05:06
I'm sorry, but that really doesn't tell me much or answer my questions.

http://www.mddistributors.com/
This is the company that tested the injectors.

Chuck

Mark Rinker
01-13-2011, 06:03
Drop it off at your local GM dealer, and tell them its still under warranty.

:p