PDA

View Full Version : "Hum" at idle

turbovair
05-08-2004, 18:35
Hello All,
My 96(120,000) recently developed a "hum" @idle.I took a close look at the harmonic balancer at idle and the outer ring is beginning to wobble. Ive already decided to replace the balancer. What recommendations do you have on where to get a new one ?

Kollin Syverson
05-08-2004, 19:23
I just replaced mine about a month ago. Be sure to replace both the harmonic balancer (HB) and the crankshaft pulley. As long as you have the HB off, I would recomend replacing the front seal also. BTW, the crankshaft pulley is in front of the HB, they are two seperate parts. I stayed with the parts from GM. When I took mine apart, the rubber on the crankshaft pulley was very close to completely seperating. I figured since the rubber in that pulley was about shot I figured the HB was not too far behind, so I replaced them both. Cheap insurance.

whatnot
05-08-2004, 19:59
If you have time to wait for shipping, Avant (the diesel depot) is quite a bit cheaper than a dealer. They buy them in bulk.
My crankshaft pulley was about $100 from them and the local dealer wanted over $200 for it.

diesel65
05-09-2004, 14:38
Check your engine mounts!! An engine sitting on the chassis will give you a hum in the cab.