PDA

View Full Version : novice high mileage 6.5L owner - couple of questions

junkrig
01-15-2011, 16:24
First - a big thank you to everyone on these boards. I've been researching and reading a lot of issues that you've all discussed to some length and it's made me a lot more aware of things with this truck.

I recently bought a high mileage suburban (over 240k) that seems to be in overall pretty sound shape. I got what seemed like a pretty good deal on it, so I'm happy to put in the $ and work to get it into as good of shape as it can be in.

I've been following a number of bits of advice I've found and so far have changed the oil and fluids, the fuel filter, the air filter, had the oil cooler hose replaced, one of the tranny lines replaced, and a number of other smaller things. I'm planning on doing some of the bigger projects in the next few months, including the PMD isolator, upgrading the cooling, and changing out fuel injectors and glow plugs.

I setup a web log for this project, and you can check it out here:
http://bellatrix.snowmassara.org

So my questions are -

If you have the time to check out my log for what I've done I've posted a few pictures up there - one of them is of a bit of oil leakage under the engine (http://bellatrix.snowmassara.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/IMG_0740.jpg). I'm curious if it looks like anything serious or not.

Also, my mechanic noted that there is some oil getting into the turbo lines, and that there are minor coolant leaks at the hose fittings - are these serious issues and something I need to address right away? I've had a bit of trouble finding anything on those topics exactly.

Thanks for your time - thanks for your knowledge -

Alex

Lanskpr
01-15-2011, 16:47
First - a big thank you to everyone on these boards. I've been researching and reading a lot of issues that you've all discussed to some length and it's made me a lot more aware of things with this truck.

I recently bought a high mileage suburban (over 240k) that seems to be in overall pretty sound shape. I got what seemed like a pretty good deal on it, so I'm happy to put in the $ and work to get it into as good of shape as it can be in.

I've been following a number of bits of advice I've found and so far have changed the oil and fluids, the fuel filter, the air filter, had the oil cooler hose replaced, one of the tranny lines replaced, and a number of other smaller things. I'm planning on doing some of the bigger projects in the next few months, including the PMD isolator, upgrading the cooling, and changing out fuel injectors and glow plugs.

I setup a web log for this project, and you can check it out here:
http://bellatrix.snowmassara.org

So my questions are -

If you have the time to check out my log for what I've done I've posted a few pictures up there - one of them is of a bit of oil leakage under the engine (http://bellatrix.snowmassara.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/IMG_0740.jpg). I'm curious if it looks like anything serious or not.

Also, my mechanic noted that there is some oil getting into the turbo lines, and that there are minor coolant leaks at the hose fittings - are these serious issues and something I need to address right away? I've had a bit of trouble finding anything on those topics exactly.

Thanks for your time - thanks for your knowledge -

Alex

I am new here too but I've owned my present truck since 2000 and have been dealing with the typical issues.

I don't know if you have seen this site but I posted this http://blog.heathdiesel.com/2007/01/engine-condition.html
since I thought it gave some good info you might find helpful.

Lanskpr
01-15-2011, 16:59
I looked at the picture. Do you suppose the rear main seal is leaking?
Does your engine throw some white vapor out of the oil neck if you take the cap off while running at warmed up temperature. I would think at 244000 miles you would have some Blowbuy but I couldnt tell you what would be normal. That link(in the other post) has a test for that. I havn't tried it although I plan to in the near future.

junkrig
01-15-2011, 17:12
I looked at the picture. Do you suppose the rear main seal is leaking?
Does your engine throw some white vapor out of the oil neck if you take the cap off while running at warmed up temperature. I would think at 244000 miles you would have some Blowbuy but I couldnt tell you what would be normal. That link(in the other post) has a test for that. I havn't tried it although I plan to in the near future.

Thanks for the link and info, Lanskpr.

I'm not sure what's going on under there. It's raining now or I'd be out there investigating more.

I haven't done the blowby test yet but intend to. For now I'm hesitant to drive around much because I'm waiting on a hazard switch replacement kit to fix my brake lights. Once that's in and I figure out why I'm having oil issues I plan to do that test as well as checkout that the turbo wastegate and IP are working properly.

DaveBr
01-16-2011, 22:26
The oil coming down the side of the oilpan and on the driveshaft is probably a result of your last oil change. The oil filter is up there and it can be difficult getting it out without making a mess. When you do your own oil changes you will know what I mean.

junkrig
01-17-2011, 09:16
The oil coming down the side of the oilpan and on the driveshaft is probably a result of your last oil change. The oil filter is up there and it can be difficult getting it out without making a mess. When you do your own oil changes you will know what I mean.

Thanks! I definitely hope that's what it is. Also - it looks like there is a bolt missing right there? Is that correct? Does it matter?