PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Service

Alaska9076.2L
01-17-2011, 10:44
I have a 1985 4x4 Silverado obviously 6.2L that I am trying progressively go through within the next month to make as reliable as possible. I am looking for all input on items that should be addressed. She has been used only on an as needed basis for 5 years. Just changed oil, filter, fuel filter, topped of auto tranny fluid and a new driver side window motor. My cold idle solenoid system seems a little funny to me. And I can't get her to run above 125f without 1/2 of driving. Ambient temp has been about -10 to -15 home made grille cover and cardboard between tranny cooler and engine radiator. Any and all input is great. Thank you, Dave!

KidKodiak
01-17-2011, 15:33
I'm not the most knowledgable person here, but I do know a few things. Which town in Alaska do you live? You might need a new thermostat, and you might need to adjust your ratio of anti-freeze to water.

Alaska9076.2L
01-22-2011, 05:56
I am from Anchorage, You from Kodiak. Ya, started my slow progressive servicing just to come to a halt. My coolant crossover pipe is cracked, need to find Gaskets at the block for crossover. Was able to build jig, for pipe and weld the crack. Hoping to find stock gaskets so don't have to make.

Yukon6.2
01-22-2011, 09:10
Hi
Fellow northener here.
The gaskets are easy to make.Just trace the crossover flange on gasket paper and cut out with scissors.There's a good chance you will run all over ancorage looking for the gaskets.Just get some good gasket paper.
Good Luck
Thomas

KidKodiak
01-22-2011, 23:31
I'm only from Kodiak by genetics (I'm Alutiiq). I was born and raised in a farming village just outside Oldsmobile town (Lansing, Mi).

As far as ordering parts go, I think you can buy online from NAPA, O'Reilly, etc, and have them shipped to your local store.

If you need parts www.car-part.com is my favorite site. It won't help with your gasket, but www.rockauto.com will.

Ryan