PDA

View Full Version : New Jasper TCase and Pump rub kit. Void warranty?

aquaman0001
01-17-2011, 11:50
My mechanic is hesitant on putting on the pump rub kit from Kennedy because he is concerned it may void the warranty? Should he be worried?
A

DmaxMaverick
01-17-2011, 11:55
What vehicle and transfer case? Have you contacted the TC supplier with the question? Many of them address common issues during rebuilds, and may already have an updated component to manage the issue.

Kennedy
01-17-2011, 13:43
Even beyond that, when was the last time you heard of a properly lubricated transfer case failing? They fail because the pump rub lets out the fluid.

aquaman0001
01-18-2011, 08:22
The TC is a 246. And I agree, a well lubricated TC will not fail. But I have basically a new engine in the Suburban and I want to make sure the TC last just as long as the engine. If the pump rub kits helps to prevent possible future problems(pump rub), wouldn't it be proactive to put it in place before you notice a problem? I will contact Jasper and see if they have made any improvements to prevent the pump rub scenario.
Thanks for the replies,
A

DmaxMaverick
01-18-2011, 08:49
You have a different animal, alltogether. It does not have the "pump rub" issue, and the Kennedy kit won't fit, anyway. Your TC is different than all the other "manual" TC's. Any truck with the "Auto 4x4" button on the dash has the NV246. Make SURE you use AutoTrac II fluid to service it. NOT ATF, like most other TC's.

Kennedy
01-18-2011, 13:12
I should make myself more clear. A properly lubricated transfer case typically does not fail so I wouldn't really worry about warranty

The 246's can be affected. It was typically the 1999 and later units. These had the magnesium case. Problem is you are in a transitional model year.

I guess for time and effort spent, it's cheap insurance.