PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Brakes

MrBSA
01-17-2011, 21:04
Hi, I noticed the ads for the new Duramax are stressing the advantages of the factory installed exhaust brake and this is one thing I really find I could use on my 2002 LB7. Does anyone know if the factory unit can be retro fitted to an LB7 or do you have any recommendations for another aftermarket brand, "Banks" for instance? Pros/cons, ease of installation as I would likely do this myself.
Thanks,

DmaxMaverick
01-17-2011, 21:15
The late model engine (exhaust) brakes are integrated into the turbo function. The late model turbo (therefore, the brake) is not compatible with the LB7 engine, as the turbos and the type of turbo technology are very different. Banks and B-D offer exhaust brakes for the LB7. Both work well, according to reports by actual users, so it would be a matter of personal preference as to which is better.

More Power
01-23-2011, 16:02
Interestingly, the earlier C4500/5500 medium-duty trucks were available with a factory exhaust brake option. If I remember correctly, this one was produced by Pac-Brake. Apparently, GM's testing showed the Duramax 6600 worked fine one. It could be that they weren't offered in pickup trucks because of the slight increase in driver complication. I dunno....

Jim