PDA

View Full Version : Rubber in gas tank?

glassyguy
01-19-2011, 17:04
I am going to be switching my fuel lines over to Viton lines so I can run B100. Can someone tell me if there is a rubber fuel pickup tube in the gas tank?

I am trying to avoid dropping my fuel tank if possible, any info would greatly help.

I have a 1983 blazer/jimmy with the 6.2 everything is pretty stock

the reason I ask is because I have seen different pics of the fuel pickup assembly. Some say 83, some say 84.

DmaxMaverick
01-19-2011, 18:24
The pick-up is steel tubing. No rubber in the tank, but the sender unit gasket and filler pipe is. The tank should be removed and cleaned. All those years of use has left a coating on the tank surface, which will be loosened by the bio. The pick-up sock (and the filters) will plug up with the flaky stuff for a while.

If you opt to not remove and clean the tank, be prepared with several spare filters on board, at least the primary (which should catch the bulk of it). If the sock plugs, you may be able to wait for it to loosen/dissolve, or the sender may have to be removed. Check the floor above the sender. Some model years have a trap-door for sender access.

Subzilla
01-20-2011, 06:38
The other thing I did was to install a cheap Fram pre-filter ($3) ahead of the good filters. These will plug quicker but it saves replacing the good ones plus you can get the clear filters and check out what kind of crap you're getting from the tank.

glassyguy
01-20-2011, 09:40
Thanks you guys