PDA

View Full Version : Hotshot Pulling Question

Justin1225
01-22-2011, 13:14
Hello everyone,

I have searched the forums and haven't quite found the answers I'm looking for, so figured might as well post a specific topic for it.

I have a 96 Silverado 3500 6.5L Dually Turbo Diesel with over 240K miles on it. I'm getting ready to pull hotshot freight with it, using either a goose-neck trailer or a regular hitch trailer. Max length of the trailer should be in the high 20s from what I'm seeing.

The truck has a new fuel filter in it that I just installed less than a week ago. The owner before me had had some work done to the heads and the injectors and some mods to the exhaust.

It fires up fine, drives like a champ. However I have not towed much with it yet so I'm wondering how this truck will do when loaded with freight. The weight of loads will vary, so lets just say it ranges from light to top end of what the other trucks pull. The other trucks are Fords with 7.3L Powerstrokes, so this truck has to be able to handle close to what they can.

So, whats your opinions on its pulling power and are there and MUST modifications I need to get done to ensure it can handle pulling freight.

Thanks,
Justin

DennisG01
01-22-2011, 14:23
Alright, I'll bite... What is "hotshot" freight?:confused:

But, what type of weights are you talking about? Besides a new fuel filter, what type of mods have already been done to it? Can you be more specific on the head, injector and exhaust work?

Generally, weight is weight, so what you find in your searches here on the forum should work for you. Intake/exhuast/gauges/ECM or Chip/Cooling mods, etc. Grab a cup of coffee for your searches - there is a ton of excellent material on this forum about engine mods!:)

Justin1225
01-22-2011, 14:50
hotshot freight is using a flat bed trailer to haul contracted freight just like a semi tractor-trailer. Usually the loads are smaller than what a semi would need and way in a range from usually 1,000 to 7,000+ pounds.

As for the engine work, I was told he had the heads redone and at the same time the injectors. Exhaust wise he said he removed something off of it and made it bigger from what I remember.

DennisG01
01-22-2011, 16:02
Oh, OK, I see. I thought it was more about "Smokey and the Bandit" stuff! I'm glad you explained it!

Alright, well 7K is fine - certainly within the range of stock to slightly modded engine. I'm going to guess that the thing he removed was the particulate trap (soot trap) - many refer to it as the catalytic converter.

About making the exhaust bigger - take a look at from where it starts to be bigger and what the diameter is (circumference/pi). Look at the downpipe (exhaust section that comes off the backside of the turbo) and see if it looks nice and smooth or if it has what looks like dents from a madman with a hammer in it. Look up from underneath the engine, too.

Can you take a few pictures of the engine? Left side, right side, front, etc. That may help us examine what you have and where you should go from here. Things such as dual t-stat housing, hi-flow water pump, intake filter, etc, are all things that will help. Clean the junk out from between the radiator and the other coolers up there. Also, in between all the fins.

But, definitely spend some time searching - there really is everything you want to know already written in this forum. Here is one thread that will give you some info: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=33292&highlight=power

When you search, try doing an advanced search and click on "titles only". Then, just try a bunch of searches using some key words.

arveetek
01-27-2011, 11:19
As much as I love the 6.5L, in my opinion, you will be great disappointed to use your truck for commercial hauling purposes. The 6.5L was never designed to compete with the Cummins or Powerstroke engines of the day. For a great, all-around everyday diesel vehicle, the 6.5L rocks. But in the power department, it really lacks the oomph it needs. To get your truck where it needs to be to compete safely and reliably, will take a lot of time and money.

I would suggest selling your truck and upgrading to a later model vehicle, like a Duramax. You'll be much happier.

Casey