PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine belt drive with a Banks kit

coxfmly
01-22-2011, 23:19
I was wondering if a Banks turbo kit can be installed on a 94 truck with the serpentine belt drive. My main concern is the A/C compressor which is on the passenger side of the bay.

thanks....

Mikey von
01-23-2011, 11:08
I have a 6.2l with a banks and a '94 serp setup. The AC will fit, but you have to ditch the vacuum pump.

coxfmly
01-23-2011, 22:28
did you have any issues with the rotation of the belt once you removed the pump from the assembly? I know its a long shot but would you happen to know the number of the belt that you ended up using? thanks

john8662
01-24-2011, 08:55
The Banks manifold will not fit in a 1994 truck. If you're taking accessories off a 6.5 and putting them on a 6.2 in a 6.2 application then I think the accessories will clear the Banks configuration.

But, no, taking a Banks setup and installing it on a 1994 won't work. Banks made a setup for the 88-92 6.2's in this body style, this has to be used. BTW, this setup isn't available from Banks.

J

Robyn
01-24-2011, 14:20
Keep the bracket and the pulley as an idler and just remove the vacuum pump portion.

If you need a vacuum pump, install one with the Oil Pump Drive.

yesss the serp drive will work with a Banks kit. ( exceptions are as John mentioned)

The old body style kit will not fit into a GMT400 truck

Missy

coxfmly
01-24-2011, 22:20
Hi Robyn,
This is the latest project that i hope to get on the road by summer:
The 6.5 (N.A.) has about 10K on it and was pulled out of an 83 sub. The Banks kit came off of my 84 sub and the serpentine system was pulled out of a 94 truck. The project truck is a 1980 Chevy short bed truck. At this point I think I have all of the parts subject to the water pump backing plate off of the 94. I didn't pull it because I didn't know I needed it :(

My 94 is now running great, thanks for all of your help... If I could figure out where an oil leak is coming from it would be perfect. I initially thought it was the hydro-boost unit but it now looks like the oil lines are leaking. hopefully i will be able to find replacement lines that will last.

thanks again.....

Robyn
01-25-2011, 18:03
Good deal.

Be sure you use a 6.5 water pump on the project with the serp drive. The old 6.2 water pumps turn the wrong way.

keep us posted

coxfmly
01-25-2011, 21:19
found the water pump backing plate and picked up the fan as well. looks like all of the parts are on hand. found 2, 94+ diesel subs at the junk yard today, rare find around here....
We will keep you posted......thanks