PDA

View Full Version : DB2 Wont shutoff, Fuel Shutoff is good.

chevytuff
01-24-2011, 14:59
Several years ago I bought two 6.5's from a military auction, Both were from Humvees and Both had hydrolocked and thrown rods, I sold one of the blocks for what I paid for both and kept the best of the two.

Lucky or unlucky (time will tell) me it was a late 2000 casting GM block with the "Improvements" thicker web castings etc.

The motor looked relatively new except for the big gaping hole in the side of the oil pan and the injection pump looked like it was fresh off a factory shelf.

Fast forward several years later, the motor is built and I just got done swapping it in my 85. I used the military 24 volt injection pump and swapped a 12 volt db2 top cover from a pump I had changed several years prior on my 6.2 on it. First start up purred like a kitten after the air cleared from the system went to shut it off and it continued to run. Had the vice grips handy and pinched the return line and it slowly died.

Thinking I may have got the linkage in a bind I took the top cover back off and reinstalled carefully following the instructions posted on here. Fuel shutoff made a click albeit somewhat weak sounding, started it back up and after a few minutes tried to shut it off. Again continued to run however this time after about 30 seconds it slowly died.

I thought maybe my Shutoff solenoid was bad or weak so I took the Known good solenoid off the db2 on the 6.2 I pulled out, It was running and shutting off fine before I yanked it about 2 months ago. Put it on today started up and purred like a cat once again, got to shut it off and it continued to run, I let it go for several minutes before pinching the fuel return off.

Im at a loss now, so I compared the shutoff lever and solenoid on the 24 volt top cover and the 12 volt top cover. The Levers appear identical, however the 24volt solenoid is almost twice the size.

My question is did they use stiffer springs on the metering valve in the 24 volt pumps to compensate for the larger solenoid (maybe older 12v solenoid doesnt have enough umph to close the valve or is something else wrong in my pump.

No visible fuel leaks are present. Any help or insight is appreciated.

chevytuff
01-24-2011, 15:37
Disregard I fixed it, For posterities sake Ill post pictures later of the modification that I had to make.

After going back out and examining the linkage on the pump I realized that it didnt make sense what I thought may have been wrong (Heavier spring on the metering valve).

So I looked again. There is a Ridge on the inside drivers side of the pump, (2 of the 12 volt pumps and the 24 volt pump have this) (One of the 12 volt db2's that I have doesnt) that the 12 volt fuel shutoff lever presses against as well as the linkage to the metering valve.

After re-inspecting my 24volt shutoff for differences I noticed that there is only one side of the lever present on the 24 volt shutoff solenoid. Dont know if it is machining tolerances or what but I removed the drivers side part of the lever that was catching on the ridge inside the pump and put it back on. Fired up purred and shutoff normally.

The internals of the older db2's i have excluding the one with no rib it it look identical so I dont know why it works on the older ones with both sides of the lever and not the newer one but its fixed now.