PDA

View Full Version : 2002 problems and need help

Dub G
01-24-2011, 19:57
my 02 needs all injectors i have 208000miles and i want to know what are the odds i fix it and something els will go wrong at 4500$ what could go wrong next??? need advice

rapidoxidationman
01-24-2011, 21:55
208,000 miles and you're asking "what could go wrong next"?

ummm

errrrrr

I know, not a very helpful post but that's a pretty broad question. ..

DmaxMaverick
01-24-2011, 22:31
Unless you are considering a new truck (with a new truck warranty), there's a simple answer......

Nothing that couldn't go wrong with any other truck with 200K+ miles.

Normal maintenance items are a given. Consider what you've had to pay for thus far. If it has been considerable, then you've made your investment already. If not, it's probably due. It's a truck, and trucks need maintenance. Things wear out. All else aside, one set of injectors, even if they are expensive, is not unreasonable. If you are handy with a wrench, the price (and the job) isn't so bad.

Dub G
01-25-2011, 11:08
That's what I was thinking i bought the truck brand new and this is the biggest expense thus far so if I fix the injectors and sell the truck then for the last 9 yrs the truck has done its job... so now the next? Is does anyone wanna buy a slightly used 02 crew cab.....lol thanks for the advice

Mark Rinker
01-25-2011, 13:01
I have faced the "repair injectors or punt" decision point three times in the last six years and as many trucks in the 'fleet'. All three times, I have sold or traded the truck 'as-is', full disclosure, and never looked back. $4500 goes a long ways towards new with warranty. To that end, I have received four sets of warranty injectors at no cost from GM, and never paid for a set out-of-pocket.

If you roll up the miles quick, and if they are commercial miles that earn you $$$, there may be even more reason to look at trading NOW rather than later.

Many hobbyists aren't afraid of injector replacement, and will buy trucks with this issue cheap, knowing they will come out ahead later when time to trade or sell outright.
Dealers that want to build their new truck customer base will give you a fair trade for the truck, as they can certainly R&R the injectors for alot less than you and I can.Before you make a decision one way or the other, look around and see what new/used trucks are selling for in the local market. Take your trucks NADA bluebook 'trade value' and deduct another $2000 for the injector replacement. Can you bear to part with it for that, if a new(er) truck is in your future?

See if you can make a deal, and spend the $4500 (+ whatever may be lurking around the corner ) on a downpayment for new, and drive away with a warranty AND peice of mind. Worked for me...I love my 2009 with 30K miles, purchased under similar circumstances last fall while on the road, when my 150K mile 2006 needed a set of injectors...

deerhunter7
01-26-2011, 10:48
My 2002 has 100,000 miles and I have decided to replace all 8 . Also just added a lift pump. Lot cheaper than a new truck.. At 200,000 I would really have to think about it . If your truck is in good shape and been well maintained I would do the injectors..