PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil Cooler lines

joeysworld
01-25-2011, 22:14
Anyone have a link where I can purchase these lines at a reasonable price?

Robyn
01-26-2011, 07:47
HI

Depending on the year of the rig there are some good options.

The older style lines that use the screw on fittings (older 6.2) you can use JIC fittings and the reusable Hydraulic hose thats available at most major parts stores or farm supply houses.

If the truck has the cooler in the radiator(older 6.2 trucks) I would install an add on oil cooler out front behind the grill and plumb it in with the new lines.

The factory hoses on the newer 6.2 and the 6.5 TD trucks used a push in type fitting on the engine (fitting screws into the block and lines snap into the fitting)

You can replace these too with the JIC fittings and the Generic Hydraulic hose.

You are only dealing with 50-70 PSI at most times MAX so you dont need 5000 PSI hose.

The 1000 PSI hose ??? (single steel braid type) is all you need.

This same hose is used on Commercial trucks to handle air and fuel too at times.

You can find some pretty good deals on oil coolers ONLINE

A trip to the local boneyard may be fruitful for a cooler.

NOW **** a tranny cooler is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY toooo small as far as the flow rate.

Whatever you use must be for Engine oil. The flow from your oil pump goes through the cooler first then to the filter and then the engine bearings.

If you restrict the flow through the cooler, the oil will bypass the cooler and this is not a good thing.

Good luck

Missy

joeysworld
01-26-2011, 08:54
1989 gmc r1500 6.2 with banks sidwinder.

I found some oil cooler lines at rock auto, $23.79 (UPPER) $21.79 (lower).

I suppose I can use the fittings off these old hoses?

I just attempted a search last night.